AffiliationDepartment of Geriatric Medicine, St Columcille's Hospital and Health Information Service, Eastern Regional Health Authority, Loughlinstown, Co. Dublin.
KeywordsSTROKE AND TIA
MeSHActivities of Daily Living
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNoone I et al. What happens to stroke patients after hospital discharge? Ir Med J. 2001, 94 (5):151-2
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractOf 231 stroke patients discharged from hospital, 34 patients (14.7%) had died when reviewed 6 months later. Of 195 survivors, 115 (58%) were independent and living in the community. The remaining 80 (42%) patients were dependent. The majority of dependent patients were in institutional care but 29 (36%) were residing in the community of whom a substantial number were not receiving physiotherapy, occupational therapy or day care. Patients who were dependent in nursing homes were less likely to have received physiotherapy (48% versus 70%) or occupational therapy (28% versus 60%) compared to disabled patients in hospital based extended nursing care. 45 patients (24%) had been re-admitted to hospital although only 48% of patients had been reviewed in hospital outpatients since discharge. 64% of patients were on anti-thrombotic treatment. This survey suggests that 6 months after hospital discharge, most stroke patients are still alive and living in the community. Many of the dependent survivors have ongoing unmet medical and rehabilitation needs.
- Exploring the associations between long-term care and mortality rates among stroke patients.
- Authors: Chuang KY, Wu SC, Yeh MC, Chen YH, Wu CL
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Community-based care of stroke patients in a rural African setting.
- Authors: Wasserman S, de Villiers L, Bryer A
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Hospital disposition after stroke in a national survey of acute cerebrovascular diseases in Israel.
- Authors: Treger I, Ring H, Schwartz R, Tsabari R, Bornstein NM, Tanne D, National Acute Stroke Israeli Survey Group.
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- A survey of survivors of acute stroke discharged from hospital to private nursing homes in Nottingham.
- Authors: Gladman J, Albazzaz M, Barer D
- Issue date: 1991-1992
- Are we selecting the right patients for stroke rehabilitation in nursing homes?
- Authors: Murray PK, Dawson NV, Thomas CL, Cebul RD
- Issue date: 2005 May