Chemoradiotherapy, with adjuvant surgery for local control, confers a durable survival advantage in adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus.
AffiliationRoyal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Department of Surgery, Connolly Hospital, Dublin 15, Ireland. Electronic address: email@example.com.
Local subject classificationCHEMOTHERAPY
Carcinoma, Squamous Cell
Combined Modality Therapy
Randomized Controlled Trials as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBass GA et al. Chemoradiotherapy, with adjuvant surgery for local control, confers a durable survival advantage in adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus. Eur. J. Cancer 2014, 50 (6):1065-75
JournalEuropean journal of cancer (Oxford, England : 1990)
AbstractOesophageal cancer usually presents with systemic disease, necessitating systemic therapy. Neo-adjuvant chemoradiotherapy improves short-term survival, but its long-term impact is disputed because of limited accrual, treatment-protocol heterogeneity and a short follow-up of randomised trials.
- Comparison of the long-term outcomes of endoscopic resection for superficial squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus in Japan.
- Authors: Nakagawa K, Koike T, Iijima K, Shinkai H, Hatta W, Endo H, Ara N, Uno K, Asano N, Imatani A, Shimosegawa T
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Effect of histologic subtype on treatment and outcomes for esophageal cancer in the United States.
- Authors: Merkow RP, Bilimoria KY, McCarter MD, Chow WB, Gordon HS, Stewart AK, Ko CY, Bentrem DJ
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 1
- Clinical behaviors and outcomes for adenocarcinoma or adenosquamous carcinoma of cervix treated by radical hysterectomy and adjuvant radiotherapy or chemoradiotherapy.
- Authors: Huang YT, Wang CC, Tsai CS, Lai CH, Chang TC, Chou HH, Lee SP, Hong JH
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 1
- Survival after definitive (chemo)radiotherapy in esophageal cancer patients: a population-based study in the north-East Netherlands.
- Authors: Smit JK, Muijs CT, Burgerhof JG, Paardekooper G, Timmer PR, Muller K, Woutersen D, Mul VE, Beukema JC, Hospers GA, van Dijk BA, Langendijk JA, Plukker JT
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- [A multi-centered randomized controlled study of neo-adjuvant chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery versus surgery alone for locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of esophagus: an interim analysis].
- Authors: YANG H, FU JH, LIU MZ, FANG WT, WANG JM, CHEN YP, CHEN ZJ, XIANG JQ, YANG HJ, MAO WM, ZHENG X, ZHU CC, KONG M, HAN YT, LI T
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 17