AffiliationHealth Intelligence Unit, Health Service Executive, Dr Steevens Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland.
Local subject classificationPUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMcDonnell R et al. Neural tube defects in the Republic of Ireland in 2009-11. J Public Health (Oxf) 2014 Mar 18 [published online]
JournalJournal of public health (Oxford, England)
AbstractNeural tube defects (NTDs) are associated with deficient maternal folic acid peri-conceptionally. In Ireland, there is no mandatory folic acid food fortification, partly due to declining NTD rates in recent years. The aim of this study was to ascertain the incident rate of NTD during the period 2009-11 and describe epidemiologically NTD in Ireland.METHODSCases were ascertained through multiple sources, including three regional congenital anomaly registers, all maternity hospitals nationally and paediatric hospitals providing care for children with spina bifida in the Republic of Ireland during the period 2009-11.RESULTSFrom 225 998 total births, 236 NTDs were identified, giving an incidence of 1.04/1 000 births, increasing from 0.92/1 000 in 2009 to 1.17/1 000 in 2011. Of all cases, 45% (n = 106) had anencephaly, 49% (n = 115) had spina bifida and 6% (n = 15) had an encephalocoele; 78% (n = 184) were liveborn or stillborn and 22% (n = 52) were terminations abroad. Peri-conceptional folic acid supplement intake was 13.7% among the 52.5% (n = 124) of cases whose folic acid supplement intake was known.CONCLUSIONThe incidence of NTDs in the Republic of Ireland appears to be increasing. Renewed public health interventions, including mandatory folic acid food fortification, must be considered to reduce the incidence of NTD.
- Neural tube defects in Malaysia: data from the Malaysian National Neonatal Registry.
- Authors: Boo NY, Cheah IG, Thong MK, Malaysian National Neonatal Registry.
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Long term trends in prevalence of neural tube defects in Europe: population based study.
- Authors: Khoshnood B, Loane M, de Walle H, Arriola L, Addor MC, Barisic I, Beres J, Bianchi F, Dias C, Draper E, Garne E, Gatt M, Haeusler M, Klungsoyr K, Latos-Bielenska A, Lynch C, McDonnell B, Nelen V, Neville AJ, O'Mahony MT, Queisser-Luft A, Rankin J, Rissmann A, Ritvanen A, Rounding C, Sipek A, Tucker D, Verellen-Dumoulin C, Wellesley D, Dolk H
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 24
- An Audit of Neural Tube Defects in the Republic Of Ireland for 2012-2015.
- Authors: McDonnell R, Delany V, O'Mahony MT, Lynch C, McKeating A, McKeating A, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 14
- East Ireland 1980-1994: epidemiology of neural tube defects.
- Authors: McDonnell RJ, Johnson Z, Delaney V, Dack P
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Decline in prevalence of neural tube defects in a high-risk region of the United States.
- Authors: Stevenson RE, Allen WP, Pai GS, Best R, Seaver LH, Dean J, Thompson S
- Issue date: 2000 Oct