Exploiting biospectroscopy as a novel screening tool for cervical cancer: towards a framework to validate its accuracy in a routine clinical setting.
AuthorsPurandare, Nikhil C
Patel, Imran I
Mitchell, Alana L
von Bünau, Günther
Martin-Hirsch, Pierre L
Prendiville, Walter J
Martin, Francis L
MetadataShow full item record
CitationExploiting biospectroscopy as a novel screening tool for cervical cancer: towards a framework to validate its accuracy in a routine clinical setting. 2013, 5 (21):2697-711 Bioanalysis
AbstractBiospectroscopy is an emerging field that harnesses the platform of physical sciences with computational analysis in order to shed novel insights on biological questions. An area where this approach seems to have potential is in screening or diagnostic clinical settings, where there is an urgent need for new approaches to objectively interrogate large numbers of samples in an objective fashion with acceptable levels of sensitivity and specificity. This review outlines the benefits of biospectroscopy in screening for precancer lesions of the cervix due to its ability to separate different grades of dysplasia. It evaluates the feasibility of introducing this technique into cervical screening programs on the basis of its ability to identify biomarkers of progression within derived spectra ('biochemical‑cell fingerprints').
- Histology verification demonstrates that biospectroscopy analysis of cervical cytology identifies underlying disease more accurately than conventional screening: removing the confounder of discordance.
- Authors: Gajjar K, Ahmadzai AA, Valasoulis G, Trevisan J, Founta C, Nasioutziki M, Loufopoulos A, Kyrgiou M, Stasinou SM, Karakitsos P, Paraskevaidis E, Da Gama-Rose B, Martin-Hirsch PL, Martin FL
- Issue date: 2014
- [Prophylaxis and screening of precancer and cancer of the uterine cervix in the XXI century].
- Authors: Kostova P, Zlatkov V
- Issue date: 2009
- Biospectroscopy insights into the multi-stage process of cervical cancer development: probing for spectral biomarkers in cytology to distinguish grades.
- Authors: Purandare NC, Patel II, Trevisan J, Bolger N, Kelehan R, von Bünau G, Martin-Hirsch PL, Prendiville WJ, Martin FL
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 21
- Accuracy of colposcopy in the diagnostic setting compared with the screening setting.
- Authors: Cantor SB, Cárdenas-Turanzas M, Cox DD, Atkinson EN, Nogueras-Gonzalez GM, Beck JR, Follen M, Benedet JL
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- [The role of the cytological screening, HPV-test and the colposcopy for early detection of the precancerous lesions of the uterine cervix].
- Authors: Ivanov S
- Issue date: 2007