Multiple Acyl Coenzyme A Dehydrogenase Deficiency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCyclic vomiting syndrome masking a fatal metabolic disease. 2013, 172 (5):707-10 Eur. J. Pediatr.
JournalEuropean journal of pediatrics
AbstractDisorders of fatty acid oxidation are rare but can be fatal. Hypoglycaemia with acidosis is a cardinal feature. Cases may present during early childhood or can be delayed into adolescence or beyond. We present a case of multiple acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency (MADD), an extremely rare disorder of fatty acid oxidation. Our 20-year-old patient presented with cardiovascular collapse, raised anion gap metabolic acidosis and non-ketotic hypoglycaemia. She subsequently developed multi-organ failure and sadly died. She had a previous diagnosis of cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) for more than 10 years, warranting frequent hospital admissions. The association between CVS and MADD has been made before though the exact relationship is unclear. All patients with persistent severe CVS should have metabolic investigations to exclude disorders of fatty acid oxidation. In case of non-ketotic hypoglycaemia with acidosis, the patient should be urgently referred to a specialist in metabolic diseases. All practitioners should be aware of these rare disorders as a cause of unexplained acidosis.
- Cardiomyopathy in multiple Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: a clinico-pathological correlation and review of literature.
- Authors: Singla M, Guzman G, Griffin AJ, Bharati S
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Fulminant lipid storage myopathy due to multiple acyl-coenzyme a dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Authors: Whitaker CH, Felice KJ, Silvers D, Wu Q
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Riboflavin-responsive multiple Acyl-CoA dehydrogenation deficiency in 13 cases, and a literature review in mainland Chinese patients.
- Authors: Zhu M, Zhu X, Qi X, Weijiang D, Yu Y, Wan H, Hong D
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Subacute myopathy in a mature patient due to multiple acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Authors: Kaminsky P, Acquaviva-Bourdain C, Jonas J, Pruna L, Chaloub GE, Rigal O, Grignon Y, Vianey-Saban C
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term outcomes of late-onset (type III) multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Authors: Pollard LM, Williams NR, Espinoza L, Wood TC, Spector EB, Schroer RJ, Holden KR
- Issue date: 2010 Aug