Multiple Acyl Coenzyme A Dehydrogenase Deficiency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCyclic vomiting syndrome masking a fatal metabolic disease. 2013, 172 (5):707-10 Eur. J. Pediatr.
JournalEuropean journal of pediatrics
AbstractDisorders of fatty acid oxidation are rare but can be fatal. Hypoglycaemia with acidosis is a cardinal feature. Cases may present during early childhood or can be delayed into adolescence or beyond. We present a case of multiple acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency (MADD), an extremely rare disorder of fatty acid oxidation. Our 20-year-old patient presented with cardiovascular collapse, raised anion gap metabolic acidosis and non-ketotic hypoglycaemia. She subsequently developed multi-organ failure and sadly died. She had a previous diagnosis of cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) for more than 10 years, warranting frequent hospital admissions. The association between CVS and MADD has been made before though the exact relationship is unclear. All patients with persistent severe CVS should have metabolic investigations to exclude disorders of fatty acid oxidation. In case of non-ketotic hypoglycaemia with acidosis, the patient should be urgently referred to a specialist in metabolic diseases. All practitioners should be aware of these rare disorders as a cause of unexplained acidosis.
- Determinants of Riboflavin Responsiveness in Multiple Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency.
- Authors: Yıldız Y, Talim B, Haliloglu G, Topaloglu H, Akçören Z, Dursun A, Sivri HS, Coşkun T, Tokatlı A
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Cardiomyopathy in multiple Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: a clinico-pathological correlation and review of literature.
- Authors: Singla M, Guzman G, Griffin AJ, Bharati S
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- [Consensus on screening, diagnosis and treatment of multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency].
- Authors: Division Of Genetics And Metabolomics Child Diseases And Health Care Branch Chinese Association For Maternal And Child Health, Chen X, Sun Y, Yang Y, Han L, Huang X
- Issue date: 2021 May 10
- Delayed diagnosis of fatal medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency in a child.
- Authors: Shetty AK, Craver RD, Harris JA, Schmidt-Sommerfeld E
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Fulminant lipid storage myopathy due to multiple acyl-coenzyme a dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Authors: Whitaker CH, Felice KJ, Silvers D, Wu Q
- Issue date: 2015 Aug