The relationship between maternal and fetal vitamin D, insulin resistance, and fetal growth.
AffiliationUCD Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Medicine and Medical Science, University College Dublin, National Maternity Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Local subject classificationFOETAL DEVELOPMENT
Vitamin D Deficiency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe relationship between maternal and fetal vitamin D, insulin resistance, and fetal growth. 2013, 20 (5):536-41 Reprod Sci
JournalReproductive sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.)
AbstractEvidence for a role of vitamin D in maintaining normal glucose homeostasis is inconclusive. We sought to clarify the relationship between maternal and fetal insulin resistance and vitamin D status. This is a prospective cohort study of 60 caucasian pregnant women. Concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD), glucose, insulin, and leptin were measured in early pregnancy and at 28 weeks. Ultrasound at 34 weeks assessed fetal anthropometry including abdominal wall width, a marker of fetal adiposity. At delivery birth weight was recorded and fetal 25-OHD, glucose, C-peptide, and leptin measured in cord blood. Insulin resistance was calculated using the Homeostasis Model Assessment (HOMA) equation. We found that those with lower 25-OHD in early pregnancy had higher HOMA indices at 28 weeks, (r = -.32, P = .02). No significant relationship existed between maternal or fetal leptin and 25-OHD, or between maternal or fetal 25-OHD and fetal anthropometry or birth weight. The incidence of vitamin D deficiency was high at each time point (15%-45%). These findings lend support to routine antenatal supplementation with vitamin D in at risk populations.
- Leptin, fetal growth and insulin resistance in non-diabetic pregnancies.
- Authors: Walsh JM, Byrne J, Mahony RM, Foley ME, McAuliffe FM
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Seasonal variation in maternal and umbilical cord 25(OH) vitamin D and their associations with neonatal adiposity.
- Authors: Godang K, Frøslie KF, Henriksen T, Qvigstad E, Bollerslev J
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Obstetric and metabolic implications of excessive gestational weight gain in pregnancy.
- Authors: Walsh JM, McGowan CA, Mahony RM, Foley ME, McAuliffe FM
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- The association of maternal and fetal glucose homeostasis with fetal adiposity and birthweight.
- Authors: Walsh JM, Mahony R, Byrne J, Foley M, McAuliffe FM
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Cord blood vitamin D deficiency is associated with respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis.
- Authors: Belderbos ME, Houben ML, Wilbrink B, Lentjes E, Bloemen EM, Kimpen JL, Rovers M, Bont L
- Issue date: 2011 Jun