Parents of young people with self-harm or suicidal behaviour who seek help - a psychosocial profile.
AffiliationTemple St Children's University Hospital, University College Dublin
Local subject classificationDELIBERATE SELF HARM
MetadataShow full item record
CitationParents of young people with self-harm or suicidal behaviour who seek help - a psychosocial profile. 2013, 7 (1):13 Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health
JournalChild and adolescent psychiatry and mental health
AbstractDeliberate Self-Harm (DSH) is a common problem among children and adolescents in clinical and community populations, and there is a considerable amount of literature investigating factors associated with DSH risk and the effects of DSH on the child. However, there is a dearth of research examining the impact of DSH on parents, and there are few support programmes targeted at this population. This cross-sectional study examines the profile of a sample of parents of young people with DSH who participated in a support programme (Supporting Parents and Carers of young people with self-harm: the SPACE programme), with the goal of investigating pre-test parental well-being, family communication, parental satisfaction, perceived parental social support, and child strengths and difficulties.
- A pilot study evaluating a support programme for parents of young people with suicidal behaviour.
- Authors: Power L, Morgan S, Byrne S, Boylan C, Carthy A, Crowley S, Fitzpatrick C, Guerin S
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 15
- Deliberate self-harm in children and adolescents: a qualitative study exploring the needs of parents and carers.
- Authors: Byrne S, Morgan S, Fitzpatrick C, Boylan C, Crowley S, Gahan H, Howley J, Staunton D, Guerin S
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Family pediatrics: report of the Task Force on the Family.
- Authors: Schor EL, American Academy of Pediatrics Task Force on the Family.
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Problem parental care and teenage deliberate self-harm in young community adults.
- Authors: Bifulco A, Schimmenti A, Moran P, Jacobs C, Bunn A, Rusu AC
- Issue date: 2014 Spring
- Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents who have a diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Authors: Klassen AF, Miller A, Fine S
- Issue date: 2004 Nov