IVC filter limb penetration of the caval wall during retroperitoneal surgery/lymph node dissection.
AffiliationDepartments of Radiology Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
KeywordsDEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS
Lymph Node Excision
Vascular System Injuries
Vena Cava Filters
Vena Cava, Inferior
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIVC filter limb penetration of the caval wall during retroperitoneal surgery/lymph node dissection. 2012, 56 (6):646-9 J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol
JournalJournal of medical imaging and radiation oncology
AbstractOptional inferior vena cava (IVC) filters are being increasingly used for protection against pulmonary embolism in patients with deep vein thrombosis where anticoagulation is contraindicated. We describe two cases during retroperitoneal surgery where the IVC filters were found to have perforated the cava wall and were subsequently removed intra-operatively. Cava wall penetration by filter limbs poses a significant danger during retroperitoneal lymph node dissection and filters should be removed preoperatively.
- Removal of retrievable inferior vena cava filters with computed tomography findings indicating tenting or penetration of the inferior vena cava wall.
- Authors: Oh JC, Trerotola SO, Dagli M, Shlansky-Goldberg RD, Soulen MC, Itkin M, Mondschein J, Solomon J, Stavropoulos SW
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Perforation of inferior vena cava during filter placement.
- Authors: Piecuch J, Wiewiora M, Nowowiejska-Wiewiora A, Szkodzinski J, Polonski L
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Retrievability of optional inferior vena cava filters with caudal migration and caval penetration: report of three cases.
- Authors: Arabi M, Willatt JM, Shields JJ, Cho KJ, Cwikiel WB
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Endovascular treatment of late aortic perforation due to vena cava filter.
- Authors: Yoshida Rde A, Yoshida WB, Kolvenbach R, Vieira PR
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Perforated inferior vena cava filters as the cause of unclear abdominal pain.
- Authors: Meyer A, Schönleben F, Heinz M, Lang W
- Issue date: 2013 Apr