Tensile and compressive properties of fresh human carotid atherosclerotic plaques.
AffiliationTrinity Centre for Bioengineering, School of Engineering, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTensile and compressive properties of fresh human carotid atherosclerotic plaques. 2009, 42 (16):2760-7 J Biomech
PublisherJournal of biomechanics
JournalJournal of biomechanics
AbstractAccurate characterisation of the mechanical properties of human atherosclerotic plaque is important for our understanding of the role of vascular mechanics in the development and treatment of atherosclerosis. The majority of previous studies investigating the mechanical properties of human plaque are based on tests of plaque tissue removed following autopsy. This study aims to characterise the mechanical behaviour of fresh human carotid plaques removed during endarterectomy and tested within 2h. A total of 50 radial compressive and 17 circumferential tensile uniaxial tests were performed on samples taken from 14 carotid plaques. The clinical classification of each plaque, as determined by duplex ultrasound is also reported. Plaques were classified as calcified, mixed or echolucent. Experimental data indicated that plaques were highly inhomogeneous; with variations seen in the mechanical properties of plaque obtained from individual donors and between donors. The mean behaviour of samples for each classification indicated that calcified plaques had the stiffest response, while echolucent plaques were the least stiff. Results also indicated that there may be a difference in behaviour of samples taken from different anatomical locations (common, internal and external carotid), however the large variability indicates that more testing is needed to reach significant conclusions. This work represents a step towards a better understanding of the in vivo mechanical behaviour of human atherosclerotic plaque.
- Identification of heterogeneous elastic properties in stenosed arteries: a numerical plane strain study.
- Authors: Franquet A, Avril S, Le Riche R, Badel P
- Issue date: 2012
- Experimental determination of circumferential properties of fresh carotid artery plaques.
- Authors: Lawlor MG, O'Donnell MR, O'Connell BM, Walsh MT
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 3
- Effects of varied lipid core volume and fibrous cap thickness on stress distribution in carotid arterial plaques.
- Authors: Gao H, Long Q
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 20
- Inelasticity of human carotid atherosclerotic plaque.
- Authors: Maher E, Creane A, Sultan S, Hynes N, Lally C, Kelly DJ
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Local axial compressive mechanical properties of human carotid atherosclerotic plaques-characterisation by indentation test and inverse finite element analysis.
- Authors: Chai CK, Akyildiz AC, Speelman L, Gijsen FJ, Oomens CW, van Sambeek MR, van der Lugt A, Baaijens FP
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 21