Challenges of implementing national guidelines for the control and prevention of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization or infection in acute care hospitals in the Republic of Ireland.
AffiliationHealth Protection Surveillance Centre, Dublin 1, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines as Topic
Health Care Surveys
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
MetadataShow full item record
CitationChallenges of implementing national guidelines for the control and prevention of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization or infection in acute care hospitals in the Republic of Ireland. 2009, 30 (3):277-81 Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol
JournalInfection control and hospital epidemiology : the official journal of the Society of Hospital Epidemiologists of America
AbstractOf the 49 acute care hospitals in Ireland that responded to the survey questionnaire drafted by the Infection Control Subcommittee of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre's Strategy for the Control of Antimicrobial Resistance in Ireland, 43 reported barriers to the full implementation of national guidelines for the control and prevention of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection; these barriers included poor infrastructure (42 hospitals), inadequate laboratory resources (40 hospitals), inadequate staffing (39 hospitals), and inadequate numbers of isolation rooms and beds (40 hospitals). Four of the hospitals did not have an educational program on hand hygiene, and only 17 had an antibiotic stewardship program.
- Prevention of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infections in European hospitals: moving beyond policies.
- Authors: Borg MA, Hulscher M, Scicluna EA, Richards J, Azanowsky JM, Xuereb D, Huis A, Moro ML, Maltezou HC, Frank U
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Control of healthcare-associated Staphylococcus aureus: Survey of practices in North Carolina hospitals.
- Authors: Weber DJ, Hoffmann KK, Rutala WA, Pyatt DG
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus prevention practices in hospitals throughout a rural state.
- Authors: McDanel JS, Ward MA, Leder L, Schweizer ML, Dawson JD, Diekema DJ, Smith TC, Chrischilles EA, Perencevich EN, Herwaldt LA
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Do guidelines for the prevention and control of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus make a difference?
- Authors: Humphreys H
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Hospital methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus active surveillance practices in Los Angeles County: Implications of legislation-based infection control, 2008.
- Authors: Peterson A, Marquez P, Terashita D, Burwell L, Mascola L
- Issue date: 2010 Oct