Congruence of pain assessment between nurses and emergency department patients: a replication.
AffiliationEmergency Department, Our Lady's Hospital, Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland. email@example.com
KeywordsEMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE
Attitude of Health Personnel
Attitude to Health
Health Services Needs and Demand
Nursing Evaluation Research
Nursing Methodology Research
Nursing Staff, Hospital
Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCongruence of pain assessment between nurses and emergency department patients: a replication. 2008, 16 (1):23-8 Int Emerg Nurs
PublisherInternational emergency nursing
JournalInternational emergency nursing
AbstractTo ascertain congruence between patients' self-report of pain intensity and nurses' assessment of their pain intensity.
This study adopted a replication methodology which aimed to ascertain congruence between patients' self-report of pain intensity and nurses' assessment of their pain intensity. Raw statistical data was analysed using SPSS for windows.
This study supports the findings of the original US study that emergency nurses frequently underestimate patients' pain intensity. However, this study also found incidents where nurses accurately assessed their patients' pain intensity, and incidences of overestimation.
This study illustrates underestimation of patients' pain intensity by emergency nurses which is both clinically and statistically significant.
Implications for nursing practice include a need for assessment of patients' pain intensity, the development of pain management protocols, and increased emphasis on education in both undergraduate and postgraduate nursing curricula. Also there needs to be continued clinical audit of pain management standards.
- Postoperative pain management - the influence of surgical ward nurses.
- Authors: Ene KW, Nordberg G, Bergh I, Johansson FG, Sjöström B
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Registered nurses' and student nurses' assessment of pain and distress related to specific patient and nurse characteristics.
- Authors: Hall-Lord ML, Larsson BW
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Categories of congruence between inpatient self-reported pain and nurses evaluation.
- Authors: Melotti RM, Samolsky Dekel BG, Carosi F, Ricchi E, Chiari P, D'Andrea R, Di Nino G
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Nurses' knowledge and skills in colonoscopy patients' pain management.
- Authors: Ylinen ER, Vehviläinen-Julkunen K, Pietilä AM
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Patients' perceptions of quality of care at an emergency department and identification of areas for quality improvement.
- Authors: Muntlin A, Gunningberg L, Carlsson M
- Issue date: 2006 Aug