Are we ignoring the problem of sleep disorder in children with intellectual disabilities?
AffiliationIntellectual Disability Services, Health Service Executive, Co., Donegal, Ireland. AnneMarie.MacCrosain@hse.ie
KeywordsPEOPLE WITH LEARNING DISABILITY
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAre we ignoring the problem of sleep disorder in children with intellectual disabilities? 2009, 178 (4):427-31 Ir J Med Sci
PublisherIrish journal of medical science
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractOur findings underscore the need for an increased awareness amongst health and social care professionals of the extent and nature of the problem, as well as intervention options. A co-ordinated approach to detection and intervention is discussed and recommendations are made for future research in this area.
DescriptionBACKGROUND: Sleep problems are more common amongst children with intellectual disability than other children. The implications for families, teachers and classmates, as well as the children themselves, are profound. AIM: A cross-sectional survey was undertaken with parents of children with intellectual disabilities in county Donegal. The aim was to examine the prevalence and types of sleep disorder in this group and to explore associated child and family characteristics. RESULTS: The response rate was 82.6%, with 96.8% meeting the criteria for a sleep disorder. This was higher than in other studies of children with and without intellectual disability or a diagnosed sleep disorder. CONCLUSION: Our findings underscore the need for an increased awareness amongst health and social care professionals of the extent and nature of the problem, as well as intervention options. A co-ordinated approach to detection and intervention is discussed and recommendations are made for future research in this area.
CollectionsPrimary and Social Care
- Risk factors associated with challenging behaviour in people with profound intellectual and multiple disabilities.
- Authors: Poppes P, van der Putten AJ, Post WJ, Vlaskamp C
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- A preliminary investigation into the effectiveness of a group-delivered sleep management intervention for parents of children with intellectual disabilities.
- Authors: Stuttard L, Beresford B, Clarke S, Beecham J, Curtis J
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Problem and pro-social behavior among Nigerian children with intellectual disability: the implication for developing policy for school based mental health programs.
- Authors: Bakare MO, Ubochi VN, Ebigbo PO, Orovwigho AO
- Issue date: 2010 May 13
- Prevalence, nature, and correlates of sleep problems among children with fragile X syndrome based on a large scale parent survey.
- Authors: Kronk R, Bishop EE, Raspa M, Bickel JO, Mandel DA, Bailey DB Jr
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Objective sleep measurement in typically and atypically developing preschool children with ADHD-like profiles.
- Authors: Goodlin-Jones BL, Waters S, Anders TF
- Issue date: 2009 Jun