AffiliationKilbrin House, Wellington Road, Cork. firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Services Accessibility
Insurance Claim Reporting
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDentists in the DTSS between July 2007 and July 2008., 54 (6):271-3 J Ir Dent Assoc
PublisherJournal of the Irish Dental Association
JournalJournal of the Irish Dental Association
AbstractRecent attention in the media concerning the Dental Treatment Services Scheme (DTSS) centres on the number of contracting dentists as a surrogate measure of the availability of services to adult medical card holders in the Republic of Ireland.
To determine the trend in the number of contracting dentists on the DTSS panel during the year 07/'07 to 07/'08.
Data were extracted from the database of monthly claims for remuneration, submitted by providers, which is held by the HSE.
The average number of contractors was 1,258. The trend over the year was a reduction of 1.6% in contractor numbers. The average number of 'active' contractors was 833. The trend over the year was a reduction in 'active' contractor numbers of 6.2%. In any month, approximately 34% of contracting dentists were not active.
The trend in the number of contracting dentists was a poor indicator of the trend in availability of services to medical card holders. A better approach would be to count the number of 'active' contractors, in conjunction with their geographic spread and medical card holder density.
- Results of a peer review process: the distribution of codes by examining dentists in the Republic of Ireland 2006-2007.
- Authors: Lynch L
- Issue date: 2009 Feb-Mar
- Access to dental services in Scotland: an analysis of dentist-population ratios.
- Authors: Newton JT, Williams AC, Bower EJ
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 9
- Factors influencing the career aspirations and preferred modes of working in recent dental graduates in Wales.
- Authors: Davies L, Thomas DR, Sandham SJ, Treasure ET, Chestnutt IG
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- [Immigration of dentists and its effects on the dental profession in Hungary].
- Authors: Balázs P
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- A study of the availability of emergency dental services in Birmingham.
- Authors: Gorman AJ, Edmondson HD
- Issue date: 1995 Jun