The self-perceived health needs of the rural elderly who live alone.
AffiliationMidland Health Board, Westmeath, Ireland.
Attitude to Health
Health Services Needs and Demand
Patient Acceptance of Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe self-perceived health needs of the rural elderly who live alone. 1992, 161 (4):108-11 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractA randomised cross-sectional survey of Public Health Nurses (PHN) registers was carried out in two rural counties, Westmeath and Longford, Ireland. 200 elderly people living alone, consisting of 50 aged 65-74 years in each of the two counties and 50 aged > or = 75 years expressed their health needs in terms of physical, mental and social well-being. 50% lived in accommodation with inadequate bathroom facilities and only 38.9% were content with their current accommodation. 37.9% felt their finances were inadequate while 15.7% were unsure of their eligibility for different entitlements. 17.6% had personal experience of crime. 39.4% lacked a means of obtaining emergency help. The majority (61.7%) perceived themselves as enjoying excellent/good health. The unmet demand for services, other than transport, varied from 11.6% for laundry services to 0% for PHN visits. Transport services were judged inadequate by 51.5% of the study group. It is concluded that by analysing and cross-analysing in terms of variables used in this study, aspects of health care needs could be targetted for different subgroups within the elderly alone group. While not complete in themselves they would help in the targetting of scarce resources.
- Self-reported contacts for mental health problems by rural residents: predicted service needs, facilitators and barriers.
- Authors: Handley TE, Kay-Lambkin FJ, Inder KJ, Lewin TJ, Attia JR, Fuller J, Perkins D, Coleman C, Weaver N, Kelly BJ
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 6
- Health status and health seeking behaviour of the elderly persons in Dagoretti division, Nairobi.
- Authors: Waweru LM, Kabiru EW, Mbithi JN, Some ES
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Cancer survivors with self-reported late effects: their health status, care needs and service utilisation.
- Authors: Treanor C, Santin O, Mills M, Donnelly M
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Exploring patient support by breast care nurses and geographical residence as moderators of the unmet needs and self-efficacy of Australian women with breast cancer: Results from a cross-sectional, nationwide survey.
- Authors: Ahern T, Gardner A, Courtney M
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Identification of the needs of elderly people in Northern Ireland.
- Authors: McCallion GM, Stout RW, Harvey SP, Rea D
- Issue date: 1990 Mar