Leptospirosis in Ireland: annual incidence and exposures associated with infection.
AffiliationHealth Protection Surveillance Centre, HSE, Dublin, Ireland.
Local subject classificationLEPTOSPIROSIS
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLeptospirosis in Ireland: annual incidence and exposures associated with infection. 2013:1-9 Epidemiol. Infect.
JournalEpidemiology and infection
AbstractSUMMARY Human leptospirosis is found throughout the world, albeit with a higher incidence in tropical regions. In temperate regions it is associated with certain occupational and recreational activities. This paper reports both on the incidence of human leptospirosis in Ireland and on possible associated exposures, using leptospirosis case notification, enhanced surveillance, hospital discharge data and death registrations. Based on official notification data, there was a threefold increase in the reported incidence of leptospirosis in Ireland between 1995-1999 and 2004-2009, which appears partially to be due to improved reporting. The exposures most associated with infection were those involving contact with livestock or water-based recreational sports, in particular kayaking. Advice on prevention should continue to be targeted in the first instance at these groups. The variety of potential transmission routes reported should inform clinicians to consider leptospirosis in individuals with a compatible clinical profile who were not from occupational groups historically considered at risk.
- Leptospirosis in Hawaii, USA, 1999-2008.
- Authors: Katz AR, Buchholz AE, Hinson K, Park SY, Effler PV
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Leptospirosis in the Republic of Ireland: 1985 to 1996.
- Authors: Hogan MC, Pate G, McConkey SJ, O'Flanagan D, Mongan C, Mellotte GJ
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 14
- Leptospirosis after recreational exposure to water in the Yaeyama islands, Japan.
- Authors: Narita M, Fujitani S, Haake DA, Paterson DL
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Kayaking as a risk factor for leptospirosis.
- Authors: Shaw RD
- Issue date: 1992 Jun
- Leptospirosis: risks during recreational activities.
- Authors: Monahan AM, Miller IS, Nally JE
- Issue date: 2009 Sep