Investigation and management of an outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium DT8 associated with duck eggs, Ireland 2009 to 2011.
De Lappe, N
O' Connor, J
O' Sullivan, P
O' Sullivan, M B
AffiliationHealth Protection Surveillance Centre, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Salmonella Food Poisoning
Salmonella Infections, Animal
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInvestigation and management of an outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium DT8 associated with duck eggs, Ireland 2009 to 2011. 2013, 18 (16):20454 Euro Surveill.
JournalEuro surveillance : bulletin Européen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin
AbstractSalmonella Typhimurium DT8 was a very rare cause of human illness in Ireland between 2000 and 2008, with only four human isolates from three patients being identified. Over a 19-month period between August 2009 and February 2011, 34 confirmed cases and one probable case of Salmonella Typhimurium DT8 were detected, all of which had an MLVA pattern 2-10-NA-12-212 or a closely related pattern. The epidemiological investigations strongly supported a linkbetween illness and exposure to duck eggs. Moreover, S. Typhimurium with an MLVA pattern indistinguishable (or closely related) to the isolates from human cases, was identified in 22 commercial and backyard duck flocks, twelve of which were linked with known human cases. A range of control measures were taken at farm level, and advice was provided to consumers on the hygienic handling and cooking of duck eggs. Although no definitive link was established with a concurrent duck egg-related outbreak of S. Typhimurium DT8 in the United Kingdom, it seems likely that the two events were related. It may be appropriate for other countries with a tradition of consuming duck eggs to consider the need for measures to reduce the risk of similar outbreaks.
- Revival of an old problem: an increase in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium definitive phage type 8 infections in 2010 in England and Northern Ireland linked to duck eggs.
- Authors: Noble DJ, Lane C, Little CL, Davies R, De Pinna E, Larkin L, Morgan D
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- The occurrence of Salmonella spp. in duck eggs on sale at retail or from catering in England.
- Authors: Owen M, Jorgensen F, Willis C, McLauchlin J, Elviss N, Aird H, Fox A, Kaye M, Lane C, de Pinna E
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- A foodborne outbreak of Salmonella enteritidis vehicled by duck and hen eggs in southern Italy.
- Authors: Nastasi A, Mammina C, Piersante GP, Robertazzo M, Caruso P
- Issue date: 1998 Jan
- Dissemination of clonal Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium isolates causing salmonellosis in Mauritius.
- Authors: Issack MI, Garcia-Migura L, Ramsamy VD, Svendsen CA, Pornruangwong S, Pulsrikarn C, Hendriksen RS
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Outbreaks of Salmonella Typhimurium phage type 197 of multiple genotypes linked to an egg producer.
- Authors: Slinko VG, McCall BJ, Stafford RJ, Bell RJ, Hiley LA, Sandberg SM, White SA, Bell KM
- Issue date: 2009 Dec