AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, University College Cork, University Hospital, Wilton, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Practice Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPharmacotherapy at the end-of-life. 2011, 40 (4):419-22 Age Ageing
PublisherAge and ageing
JournalAge and ageing
AbstractOlder people reaching end-of-life status are particularly at risk from inter-related adverse effects of pharmacotherapy, including polypharmacy, inappropriate medications and adverse drug events. These adverse effects of pharmacotherapy may be highly detrimental, as well as highly expensive. End-of-life pharmacotherapy is sometimes perceived to be complex and challenging, probably unnecessarily. This relates in part to the poorly developed evidence base and lack of high-quality research in this area. In this article, we deal with some of the key issues relating to pharmacotherapy in end-of-life patients, namely (i) the guiding principles of drug selection, (ii) the main drugs and drug classes that are best avoided, (iii) the benefits of 'oligopharmacy' (i.e. deliberate avoidance of polypharmacy) in end-of-life patients.
- [Discontinuing medication in elderly: a checklist may be useful].
- Authors: van Marum RJ
- Issue date: 2011
- Prescribing in older people.
- Authors: Le Couteur DG, Hilmer SN, Glasgow N, Naganathan V, Cumming RG
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Prescribing for older adults.
- Authors: Boparai MK, Korc-Grodzicki B
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Aug
- Acute coronary care in the elderly, part I: Non-ST-segment-elevation acute coronary syndromes: a scientific statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology: in collaboration with the Society of Geriatric Cardiology.
- Authors: Alexander KP, Newby LK, Cannon CP, Armstrong PW, Gibler WB, Rich MW, Van de Werf F, White HD, Weaver WD, Naylor MD, Gore JM, Krumholz HM, Ohman EM, American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology., Society of Geriatric Cardiology.
- Issue date: 2007 May 15
- Evidence-based guideline. Improving medication management for older adult clients.
- Authors: Bergman-Evans B
- Issue date: 2006 Jul