Successful treatment of idiopathic pulmonary capillaritis with intravenous cyclophosphamide.
AffiliationDepartment of Respiratory Medicine, Children's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSuccessful treatment of idiopathic pulmonary capillaritis with intravenous cyclophosphamide. 2013, 48 (3):303-5 Pediatr. Pulmonol.
AbstractIdiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis (IPH), a subtype of diffuse alveolar hemorrhage is a rare condition, first described by Virchow in 1864. Historically, it manifests in children in the first decade of life with the combination of hemoptysis, iron deficiency anemia, and alveolar infiltrates on chest radiograph. More recently, diffuse alveolar hemorrhage has been classified by the absence or presence of pulmonary capillaritis (PC), the latter carrying a potential for a poorer outcome. While systemic corticosteroids remain the first line treatment option, other immune modulators have been trailed including hydroxychloroquine, azathioprine, 6-mercaptopurine, and cyclophosphamide with varying results. Our case demonstrates for the first time, the successful use of intravenous cyclophosphamide in the management of chronic idiopathic PC.
- [Diagnostics and therapy of idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis].
- Authors: Willms H, Gutjahr K, Juergens UR, Hammerschmidt S, Gessner C, Hoheisel G, Wirtz H, Gillissen A
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 15
- New insights into pediatric idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis: the French RespiRare(®) cohort.
- Authors: Taytard J, Nathan N, de Blic J, Fayon M, Epaud R, Deschildre A, Troussier F, Lubrano M, Chiron R, Reix P, Cros P, Mahloul M, Michon D, Clement A, Corvol H, French RespiRare® group.
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 14
- [Treatment of idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis with immunosuppressive agents].
- Authors: Kamińska M, Piotrowicz E, Ratajczak B, Boj E
- Issue date: 1973 Jun
- Anemia as the sole presenting symptom of idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis: report of two cases.
- Authors: Chen KC, Hsiao CC, Huang SC, Ko SF, Niu CK
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis in a 9-year-old girl.
- Authors: Kamienska E, Urasinski T, Gawlikowska-Sroka A, Glura B, Pogorzelski A
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 7