Clinical research ethics in Irish healthcare: diversity, dynamism and medicalization.
AffiliationDr Steevens' Hospital, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical Nursing Research
Delivery of Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClinical research ethics in Irish healthcare: diversity, dynamism and medicalization. 2012, 19 (6):810-8 Nurs Ethics
AbstractGaining ethical clearance to conduct a study is an important aspect of all research involving humans but can be time-consuming and daunting for novice researchers. This article stems from a larger ethnographic study that examined research capacity building in Irish nursing and midwifery. Data were collected over a 28-month time frame from a purposive sample of 16 nurse or midwife research fellows who were funded to undertake full-time PhDs. Gaining ethical clearance for their studies was reported as an early 'rite of passage' in the category of 'labouring the doctorate'. This article penetrates the complexities in Irish clinical research ethics by describing the practices these nurse and midwife researchers encountered and the experiences they had. The key issue of representation that occurred in the context of 'medicalized' research ethics is further explored including its meaning for nursing or midwifery research.
- Childbirth policies and practices in Ireland and the journey towards midwifery-led care.
- Authors: Devane D, Murphy-Lawless J, Begley CM
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Organizational predicaments: ethical conditions for nursing research.
- Authors: Toffoli L, Rudge T
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Developing nursing and midwifery research capacity in a university department: case study.
- Authors: Green B, Segrott J, Hewitt J
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Reflexivity in midwifery research: the insider/outsider debate.
- Authors: Burns E, Fenwick J, Schmied V, Sheehan A
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- An ethnographic study of women's experience of partnership caseload midwifery practice: the professional as a friend.
- Authors: Walsh D
- Issue date: 1999 Sep