Reducing the use of seclusion for mental disorder in a prison: implementing a high support unit in a prison using participant action research.
AffiliationNational Forensic Mental Health Service, Central Mental Hospital, Dundrum, Dublin 14, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org.
PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS
Local subject classificationISOLATION
MetadataShow full item record
CitationReducing the use of seclusion for mental disorder in a prison: implementing a high support unit in a prison using participant action research. 2012, 6 (1):2 Int J Ment Health Syst
JournalInternational journal of mental health systems
AbstractVulnerable prisoners and mentally disordered offenders who present with risk of harm to self or others were accommodated in Special Observation Cells (SOCs) isolated from others for considerable periods of time. This practice has been criticised by the Council of Europe Committee for the Prevention of Torture. The objective of this initiative was to reduce the use of seclusion within the prison and to improve the care of vulnerable and mentally ill prisoners within the prison.
- Suicidal Ideation
- Authors: Harmer B, Lee S, Duong TvH, Saadabadi A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- [Treatment of offenders with mental disorders: focusing on prison psychiatry].
- Authors: Nakatani Y
- Issue date: 2011
- Forensic mental health services: Current service provision and planning for a prison mental health service in the Eastern Cape.
- Authors: Sukeri K, Betancourt OA, Emsley R, Nagdee M, Erlacher H
- Issue date: 2016
- Dual diagnosis of mental illness and substance use disorder and injury in adults recently released from prison: a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Young JT, Heffernan E, Borschmann R, Ogloff JRP, Spittal MJ, Kouyoumdjian FG, Preen DB, Butler A, Brophy L, Crilly J, Kinner SA
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Beyond the Walls: An Evaluation of a Pre-Release Planning (PReP) Programme for Sentenced Mentally Disordered Offenders.
- Authors: Smith D, Harnett S, Flanagan A, Hennessy S, Gill P, Quigley N, Carey C, McGhee M, McManus A, Kennedy M, Kelly E, Carey J, Concannon A, Kennedy HG, Mohan D
- Issue date: 2018