Exploring registered Psychiatric Nurses' responses towards Service Users with a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder.
AffiliationHSE West, Toghermore House, Tuam Mental Health Campus, Tuam, County Galway, Ireland.
Local subject classificationBORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER
MetadataShow full item record
CitationExploring Registered Psychiatric Nurses' Responses towards Service Users with a Diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. 2012, 2012:601918 Nurs Res Pract
PublisherNursing research and practice
JournalNursing research and practice
AbstractThis study explored registered psychiatric nurses' (RPNs') interactions and level of empathy towards service users with a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder (BPD). A qualitative approach was used, and 17 RPNs were interviewed using a semistructured interview schedule incorporating the "staff-patient interaction response scale" (SPIRS). Four themes emerged following data analysis: "challenging and difficult," "manipulative, destructive and threatening behaviour," "preying on the vulnerable resulting in splitting staff and other service users," and "boundaries and structure." Additionally, low levels of empathy were evident in the majority of participants' responses to the SPIRS. The findings provide further insight on nurses' empathy responses and views on caring for service users with BPD and further evidence for the need for training and education for nurses in the care of service users diagnosed with BPD.
- Attitudes of registered psychiatric nurses towards patients diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.
- Authors: Deans C, Meocevic E
- Issue date: 2006 Feb-Mar
- Working with borderline personality disorder: A small-scale qualitative investigation into community psychiatric nurses' constructs of borderline personality disorder.
- Authors: Stroud J, Parsons R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- [The impact of caring experiences of the patients with borderline personality disorder on psychiatric nurses].
- Authors: Ma WF, Shih FJ
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Managing and caring for distressed and disturbed service users: the thoughts and feelings experienced by a sample of English mental health nurses.
- Authors: Chambers M, Kantaris X, Guise V, Välimäki M
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Destructive Whirlwind: nurses' perceptions of patients diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.
- Authors: Woollaston K, Hixenbaugh P
- Issue date: 2008 Nov