AffiliationSexual Assault Treatment Unit (SATU), Rotunda Hospital and National SATU Services, Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland. email@example.com
Continuity of Patient Care
Health Services Accessibility
Outpatient Clinics, Hospital
Practice Guidelines as Topic
Referral and Consultation
Risk Reduction Behavior
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe role of the sexual assault centre. 2013, 27 (1):47-58 Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol
JournalBest practice & research. Clinical obstetrics & gynaecology
AbstractSexual Assault Centres provide multidisciplinary care for men and women who have experienced sexual crime. These centres enable provision of medical, forensic, psychological support and follow-up care, even if patients chose not to report the incident to the police service. Sexual Support Centres need to provide a ring-fenced, forensically clean environment. They need to be appropriately staffed and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to allow prompt provision of medical and supportive care and collection of forensic evidence. Sexual Assault Centres work best within the context of a core agreed model of care, which includes defined multi-agency guidelines and care pathways, close links with forensic science and police services, and designated and sustainable funding arrangements. Additionally, Sexual Assault Centres also participate in patient, staff and community education and risk reduction. Furthermore, they contribute to the development, evaluation and implementation of national strategies on domestic, sexual and gender-based violence.
- Adult victims of sexual assault: acute medical response and police reporting among women consulting a center for victims of sexual assault.
- Authors: Schei B, Sidenius K, Lundvall L, Ottesen GL
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Assessing the sexual violence services currently provided in genitourinary medicine clinics.
- Authors: Emerson CR, Sacks R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- [Assessment of a new law for sex offenders implemented in France in 1998].
- Authors: Tesson J, Cordier B, Thibaut F
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- A national survey of facilities for complainants of sexual assault.
- Authors: Dhairyawan R, Shardlow K, Carroll M, Sacks R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Vulnerability and revictimization: Victim characteristics in a Dutch assault center.
- Authors: Zijlstra E, Esselink G, Moors ML, LoFoWong S, Hutschemaekers G, Lagro-Janssen A
- Issue date: 2017 Nov