AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics, Children's University Hospital, Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
Nervous System Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAcute functional deterioration in a child with cerebral palsy. 2012, 2012: BMJ Case Rep
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractWe describe a case of acute functional deterioration in a 13-year-old girl with severe spastic diplegia (GMFCS III) and a new diagnosis of diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG). She presented with acute deterioration in mobility and motor function over 1 month, which was associated with dysarthria, dysphagia and behavioural change. Her mother had noticed subtle functional deterioration over the 2 months prior to this. Her physiotherapist who was concerned about her acute functional deterioration referred her for emergency review. Neurological imaging revealed a diffuse pontine lesion consistent with DIPG. She was subsequently referred to oncology. She deteriorated further, clinically, over the next few days and following discussion with the team; her family opted for palliative treatment, given the poor prognosis associated with DIPG.
- [Botulinum toxin in the management of spastic hip adductors in non-ambulatory cerebral palsy children].
- Authors: Deleplanque B, Lagueny A, Flurin V, Arnaud C, Pedespan JM, Fontan D, Pontallier JR
- Issue date: 2002 May
- [Catatonia in a 14 year-old girl: treatment with clorazepam and carbamazepine, a 10-year follow-up].
- Authors: Askenazy F, Dor E, Benoit M, Dupuis G, Serret S, Myquel M, Seddiki Y
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Functional deterioration in adults with cerebral palsy.
- Authors: Ando N, Ueda S
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Treatment of articulatory impairment in a child with spastic dysarthria associated with cerebral palsy.
- Authors: Marchant J, McAuliffe MJ, Huckabee ML
- Issue date: 2008 Jan-Mar
- Prevalence of obesity in ambulatory children with cerebral palsy.
- Authors: Rogozinski BM, Davids JR, Davis RB, Christopher LM, Anderson JP, Jameson GG, Blackhurst DW
- Issue date: 2007 Nov