A Novel Study of Comorbidity between Schizoaffective Disorder and Geschwind Syndrome.
AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, Our Lady's Hospital, Navan, County Meath, Ireland ; Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA Novel Study of Comorbidity between Schizoaffective Disorder and Geschwind Syndrome. 2013, 2013:486064 Case Rep Psychiatry
JournalCase reports in psychiatry
AbstractGeschwind syndrome has been described in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy and is characterized by sexual behavioural disorders, hyperreligiosity, hypergraphia, and viscosity. Presented here is a case of a 53-year-old man with clinical findings consistent with Geschwind syndrome in the setting of a known diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, with no identifiable comorbid illness of temporal lobe epilepsy or frontotemporal dementia. Brain MRI showed bilateral temporal lobe atrophy greater than would be expected for age and more prominent on the left side than the right. It is likely that these structural abnormalities may be related to this patient's clinical presentation of Geschwind syndrome. To our knowledge, this is the first reporting of a case of Geschwind syndrome in the setting of schizoaffective disorder. These symptoms of Geschwind syndrome were present irrespective of mental state status. The report highlights the importance in correct identification of underlying cause and differentiation between Geschwind syndrome and schizoaffective disorder in order to avoid mistreatment and consequent iatrogenic adverse events.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Geschwind Syndrome in frontotemporal lobar degeneration: Neuroanatomical and neuropsychological features over 9 years.
- Authors: Veronelli L, Makaretz SJ, Quimby M, Dickerson BC, Collins JA
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Isolated Hyperreligiosity in a Patient with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy.
- Authors: Garcia-Santibanez R, Sarva H
- Issue date: 2015
- Fronto-temporal dementia presenting as Geschwind's syndrome.
- Authors: Postiglione A, Milan G, Pappatà S, De Falco C, Lamenza F, Schiattarella V, Gallotta G, Sorrentino P, Striano S
- Issue date: 2008
- A neuropsychiatric case report: Klüver-Bucy and Gastaut-Geschwind syndromes in one patient with schizoaffective disorder presenting with brain 99-mTc HMPAO single-photon emission computed tomography showing bilateral discrete decrease of temporal lobes perfusion.
- Authors: Gama Marques J
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- [Frontal dementia or dementia praecox? A case report of a psychotic disorder with a severe decline].
- Authors: Vanderzeypen F, Bier JC, Genevrois C, Mendlewicz J, Lotstra F
- Issue date: 2003 Mar-Apr