AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, Co. Louth, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDual diagnosis of sarcoidosis and lymphoma. 2013, 182 (2):283-6 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractSarcoidosis is a multisystem granulomatous disease of unknown origin with pulmonary and extrapulmonary manifestations. Worldwide it is most often diagnosed in the third and fourth decades and most often affects Swedish, Danish and black patients. The association between malignancy and sarcoidosis has not been conclusively proven. Cancer can eventually occur in patients who have an established diagnosis of sarcoidosis for example, in sarcoidosis-lymphoma syndrome. Sarcoidosis can also subsequently develop in an oncology patient. There are multiple obstacles to confirming epidemiologically the linkage between sarcoidosis and malignancy. Histological verification and clinical acumen are needed to avoid misdiagnosis. The 18 fluorodeoxyglucose (18-FDG) PET has failed to provide a non invasive diagnostic method to differentiate neoplasia from benign sarcoid lesions and tissue diagnosis is essential before commencing a new therapeutic intervention in patients with lymphoma.
- Atypical sarcoidosis: case reports and review of the literature.
- Authors: Giovinale M, Fonnesu C, Soriano A, Cerquaglia C, Curigliano V, Verrecchia E, De Socio G, Gasbarrini G, Manna R
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- The sarcoid-lymphoma syndrome.
- Authors: Goswami T, Siddique S, Cohen P, Cheson BD
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Sarcoidosis occurring after lymphoma: report of 14 patients and review of the literature.
- Authors: London J, Grados A, Fermé C, Charmillon A, Maurier F, Deau B, Crickx E, Brice P, Chapelon-Abric C, Haioun C, Burroni B, Alifano M, Le Jeunne C, Guillevin L, Costedoat-Chalumeau N, Schleinitz N, Mouthon L, Terrier B
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- A case with coincidental diagnosis of primary central nervous system lymphoma and lymph node sarcoidosis.
- Authors: Greiner EJ, Mügge LO, Romeike BF, Topalidis T, Theis B, Ragoschke-Schumm A, Witte OW, Günther A
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Evaluation of Mediastinal Lymph Nodes in Sarcoidosis, Sarcoid Reaction, and Malignant Lymph Nodes Using CT and FDG-PET/CT.
- Authors: Koo HJ, Kim MY, Shin SY, Shin S, Kim SS, Lee SW, Choi CM
- Issue date: 2015 Jul