The impact of new national guidelines on screening for gestational diabetes mellitus.
Glucose Tolerance Test
Practice Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe impact of new national guidelines on screening for gestational diabetes mellitus. 2013, 106 (2):57-9 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractGestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) has important maternal and fetal implications. In 2010, the Health Service Executive published guidelines on GDM. We examined the impact of the new guidelines in a large maternity unit. In January 2011, the hospital replaced the 100 g Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) with the new 75 g OGTT. We compared the first 6 months of 2011 with the first 6 months of 2010. The new guidelines were associated with a 22% increase in women screened from 1375 in 2010 to 1679 in 2011 (p < 0.001). Of the women screened, the number diagnosed with GDM increased from 10.1% (n=139) to 13.2% (n=221) (p<0.001).The combination of increased screening and a more sensitive OGTT resulted in the number of women diagnosed with GDM increasing 59% from 139 to 221 (p = 0.02).This large increase has important resource implications but, if clinical outcomes are improved, there should be a decrease in long-term costs.
- The Toronto Tri-Hospital Gestational Diabetes Project. A preliminary review.
- Authors: Sermer M, Naylor CD, Farine D, Kenshole AB, Ritchie JW, Gare DJ, Cohen HR, McArthur K, Holzapfel S, Biringer A
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- A national survey of implementation of guidelines for gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: O'Higgins A, Dunne F, Lee B, Smith D, Turner MJ
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Surprisingly low compliance to local guidelines for risk factor based screening for gestational diabetes mellitus - A population-based study.
- Authors: Persson M, Winkvist A, Mogren I
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 16
- Using the 100-g oral glucose tolerance test to predict fetal and maternal outcomes in women with gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Lin CH, Wen SF, Wu YH, Huang MJ
- Issue date: 2009 May-Jun
- Gestational diabetes mellitus screening and diagnosis: a prospective randomised controlled trial comparing costs of one-step and two-step methods.
- Authors: Meltzer SJ, Snyder J, Penrod JR, Nudi M, Morin L
- Issue date: 2010 Mar