Vitamin D: new roles and therapeutic potential in inflammatory bowel disease.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Medicine, Trinity College Dublin Centre for Health Sciences, Adelaide & Meath Hospital, Dublin 24, Ireland.
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
CitationVitamin D: new roles and therapeutic potential in inflammatory bowel disease. 2012, 13 (9):1294-302 Curr. Drug Metab.
JournalCurrent drug metabolism
AbstractInflammatory bowel disease (IBD) encompasses 2 independent but related entities: ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease. Crohn's disease is characterised by transmural patchy inflammation which can involve any portion of the gastrointestinal tract. UC is characterised by superficial inflammation that begins in the rectum and extends proximally along the colon. In Europe, approximately 2.2 million people have a diagnosis of IBD. The aetiology of IBD is unknown, however, immune, environmental and genetic factors are thought to be involved. Individuals with IBD are at risk of developing osteoporosis. In line with this, there are clear guidelines that recommend vitamin D supplementation for IBD patients to prevent bone disease, especially when undergoing steroid treatment. Despite an established role for vitamin D in IBD, deficiency is common. More novel effects of vitamin D beyond bone are emerging. It is now well established that vitamin D is an important regulator of the immune system which may have implications for the development, severity and management of immune related disorders such as IBD. The efficacy of vitamin D as an immune modulator in IBD remains to be proven. This review aims to evaluate the evidence implicating vitamin D deficiency in IBD pathogenesis, to examine vitamin D's anti-inflammatory mechanisms and to explore its therapeutic potential, optimal serum levels and dietary intakes which may support immune function in this disease.
- Vitamin D in inflammatory bowel disease: From biology to clinical implications.
- Authors: Parizadeh SM, Jafarzadeh-Esfehani R, Hassanian SM, Mottaghi-Moghaddam A, Ghazaghi A, Ghandehari M, Alizade-Noghani M, Khazaei M, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Ferns GA, Parizadeh SMR, Avan A
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Vitamin D as a novel therapy in inflammatory bowel disease: new hope or false dawn?
- Authors: O'Sullivan M
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Vitamin D therapy in inflammatory bowel diseases: who, in what form, and how much?
- Authors: Hlavaty T, Krajcovicova A, Payer J
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Role of Vitamin D in the Natural History of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Authors: Nielsen OH, Rejnmark L, Moss AC
- Issue date: 2018 May 25
- Vitamin D improves inflammatory bowel disease outcomes: basic science and clinical review.
- Authors: Reich KM, Fedorak RN, Madsen K, Kroeker KI
- Issue date: 2014 May 7