A comparative study of short- and medium-term outcomes comparing emergent surgery and stenting as a bridge to surgery in patients with acute malignant colonic obstruction.
AuthorsKavanagh, Dara O
Hyland, John M P
Mulcahy, Hugh E
O'Connell, P Ronan
Winter, Des C
Doherty, Glen A
AffiliationCenter for Colorectal Disease, St Vincent University Hospital, Elm Park, and School of Medicine and Medical Sciences, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA comparative study of short- and medium-term outcomes comparing emergent surgery and stenting as a bridge to surgery in patients with acute malignant colonic obstruction. 2013, 56 (4):433-40 Dis. Colon Rectum
JournalDiseases of the colon and rectum
AbstractThe use of self-expanding metal stents as a bridge to surgery in the setting of malignant colorectal obstruction has been advocated as an acceptable alternative to emergency surgery. However, concerns about the safety of stenting have been raised following recent randomized studies.
- Colonic stenting as bridge to surgery versus emergency surgery for management of acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction: a multicenter randomized trial (Stent-in 2 study).
- Authors: van Hooft JE, Bemelman WA, Breumelhof R, Siersema PD, Kruyt PM, van der Linde K, Veenendaal RA, Verhulst ML, Marinelli AW, Gerritsen JJ, van Berkel AM, Timmer R, Grubben MJ, Scholten P, Geraedts AA, Oldenburg B, Sprangers MA, Bossuyt PM, Fockens P
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 3
- Colonic stent placement as a bridge to surgery in patients with left-sided malignant large bowel obstruction. An observational study.
- Authors: Occhionorelli S, Tartarini D, Cappellari L, Stano R, Vasquez G
- Issue date: 2014 Nov-Dec
- Severe complications limit long-term clinical success of self-expanding metal stents in patients with obstructive colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Fernández-Esparrach G, Bordas JM, Giráldez MD, Ginès A, Pellisé M, Sendino O, Martínez-Pallí G, Castells A, Llach J
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Colorectal stenting for palliation and as a bridge to surgery: A 5-year follow-up study.
- Authors: Bayraktar B, Ozemir IA, Kefeli U, Demiral G, Sagiroğlu J, Bayraktar O, Adali G, Ozcelik A, Tortum OB
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 21
- Bridge-to-surgery stent placement versus emergency surgery for acute malignant colonic obstruction.
- Authors: van den Berg MW, Sloothaak DA, Dijkgraaf MG, van der Zaag ES, Bemelman WA, Tanis PJ, Bosker RJ, Fockens P, ter Borg F, van Hooft JE
- Issue date: 2014 Jun