Do helmets worn for hurling fail to protect the ear? Identification of an emerging injury pattern.
AuthorsMartin-Smith, James D
Chan, Jeffery C Y
Power, Kieran T
Crowley, Paddy J
Clover, Anthony James P
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Head Protective Devices
Track and Field
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDo helmets worn for hurling fail to protect the ear? Identification of an emerging injury pattern. 2012, 46 (16):1134-6 Br J Sports Med
JournalBritish journal of sports medicine
AbstractHurling is an Irish national game of stick and ball known for its ferocity, played by 190 000 players. Facial injuries were common but have been significantly reduced by legislation enforcing compulsory helmet wearing. Current standard helmets worn by hurlers do not offer protection to the external ear. Here we describe an emerging pattern of ear injuries and demonstrate the risk of external ear injuries in hurlers complying with current helmet safety standards. A 6-month retrospective analysis was carried out of patients attending Cork University Hospital (CUH) with ear lacerations sustained while hurling. Patient notes were reviewed and helmet manufacturers were interviewed. Seven patients were identified, all of whom sustained complex through ear lacerations while wearing helmets complying with current safety standards. Current helmet design fails to protect the external ear placing it at an increased risk of injury, a potential solution is to include ear protection in the helmet design.
- Dramatic impact of using protective equipment on the level of hurling-related head injuries: an ultimately successful 27-year programme.
- Authors: Crowley PJ, Crowley MJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Batting head injury in professional cricket: a systematic video analysis of helmet safety characteristics.
- Authors: Ranson C, Peirce N, Young M
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Maxillofacial and dental injuries sustained in hurling.
- Authors: Murphy C, Ahmed I, Mullarkey C, Kearns G
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Is Helmet and Faceguard Modification Common in Hurling and Camogie and Why Is It Done?
- Authors: O’Connor S, Daly C
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 19
- Evaluation of cricket helmet performance and comparison with baseball and ice hockey helmets.
- Authors: McIntosh AS, Janda D
- Issue date: 2003 Aug