Early life adversity is associated with brain changes in subjects at family risk for depression.
AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, Institute of Neuroscience, Adelaide and Meath Hospital incorporating the National Children's Hospital (AMNCH), St. James's Hospital and Centre of Advanced Medical Imaging (CAMI), University Dublin, Trinity College, Ireland.
Depressive Disorder, Major
Genetic Predisposition to Disease
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEarly life adversity is associated with brain changes in subjects at family risk for depression. 2012, 13 (8):569-78 World J. Biol. Psychiatry
JournalThe world journal of biological psychiatry : the official journal of the World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry
AbstractThe interplay of genetic and early environmental factors is recognized as an important factor in the aetiology of major depressive disorder (MDD). The aim of the present study was to examine whether reduced volume of hippocampus and frontal brain regions involved in emotional regulation are already present in unaffected healthy individuals at genetic risk of suffering MDD and to investigate whether early life adversity is a relevant factor interacting with these reduced brain structures.
- Structural MRI correlates for vulnerability and resilience to major depressive disorder.
- Authors: Amico F, Meisenzahl E, Koutsouleris N, Reiser M, Möller HJ, Frodl T
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Interaction of childhood stress with hippocampus and prefrontal cortex volume reduction in major depression.
- Authors: Frodl T, Reinhold E, Koutsouleris N, Reiser M, Meisenzahl EM
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Childhood stress, serotonin transporter gene and brain structures in major depression.
- Authors: Frodl T, Reinhold E, Koutsouleris N, Donohoe G, Bondy B, Reiser M, Möller HJ, Meisenzahl EM
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Larger amygdala volume in first-degree relatives of patients with major depression.
- Authors: Romanczuk-Seiferth N, Pöhland L, Mohnke S, Garbusow M, Erk S, Haddad L, Grimm O, Tost H, Meyer-Lindenberg A, Walter H, Wüstenberg T, Heinz A
- Issue date: 2014
- Structural brain abnormalities in major depressive disorder: a selective review of recent MRI studies.
- Authors: Lorenzetti V, Allen NB, Fornito A, Yücel M
- Issue date: 2009 Sep