Diet and the risk of head and neck cancer: a pooled analysis in the INHANCE consortium.
Heck, Julia E
Winn, Deborah M
La Vecchia, Carlo
Dal Maso, Luigino
McClean, Michael D
Schwartz, Stephen M
Hayes, Richard B
Curado, Maria Paula
Olshan, Andrew F
Daudt, Alexander W
Macfarlane, Gary J
Conway, David I
Healy, Claire M
AffiliationImperial College London, London, UK.
Head and Neck Neoplasms
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiet and the risk of head and neck cancer: a pooled analysis in the INHANCE consortium. 2012, 23 (1):69-88 Cancer Causes Control
JournalCancer causes & control : CCC
AbstractWe investigated the association between diet and head and neck cancer (HNC) risk using data from the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology (INHANCE) consortium. The INHANCE pooled data included 22 case-control studies with 14,520 cases and 22,737 controls. Center-specific quartiles among the controls were used for food groups, and frequencies per week were used for single food items. A dietary pattern score combining high fruit and vegetable intake and low red meat intake was created. Odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) for the dietary items on the risk of HNC were estimated with a two-stage random-effects logistic regression model. An inverse association was observed for higher-frequency intake of fruit (4th vs. 1st quartile OR = 0.52, 95% CI = 0.43-0.62, p (trend) < 0.01) and vegetables (OR = 0.66, 95% CI = 0.49-0.90, p (trend) = 0.01). Intake of red meat (OR = 1.40, 95% CI = 1.13-1.74, p (trend) = 0.13) and processed meat (OR = 1.37, 95% CI = 1.14-1.65, p (trend) < 0.01) was positively associated with HNC risk. Higher dietary pattern scores, reflecting high fruit/vegetable and low red meat intake, were associated with reduced HNC risk (per score increment OR = 0.90, 95% CI = 0.84-0.97).
- Relation of allium vegetables intake with head and neck cancers: evidence from the INHANCE consortium.
- Authors: Galeone C, Turati F, Zhang ZF, Guercio V, Tavani A, Serraino D, Brennan P, Fabianova E, Lissowska J, Mates D, Rudnai P, Shangina O, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Vaughan TL, Kelsey K, McClean M, Levi F, Hayes RB, Purdue MP, Bosetti C, Brenner H, Pelucchi C, Lee YC, Hashibe M, Boffetta P, La Vecchia C
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Diet and the risk of head-and-neck cancer among never-smokers and smokers in a Chinese population.
- Authors: Butler C, Lee YA, Li S, Li Q, Chen CJ, Hsu WL, Lou PJ, Zhu C, Pan J, Shen H, Ma H, Cai L, He B, Wang Y, Zhou X, Ji Q, Zhou B, Wu W, Ma J, Boffetta P, Zhang ZF, Dai M, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Vitamin or mineral supplement intake and the risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis in the INHANCE consortium.
- Authors: Li Q, Chuang SC, Eluf-Neto J, Menezes A, Matos E, Koifman S, Wünsch-Filho V, Fernandez L, Daudt AW, Curado MP, Winn DM, Franceschi S, Herrero R, Castellsague X, Morgenstern H, Zhang ZF, Lazarus P, Muscat J, McClean M, Kelsey KT, Hayes RB, Purdue MP, Schwartz SM, Chen C, Benhamou S, Olshan AF, Yu G, Schantz S, Ferro G, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 1
- Dietary fiber intake and head and neck cancer risk: A pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology consortium.
- Authors: Kawakita D, Lee YA, Turati F, Parpinel M, Decarli A, Serraino D, Matsuo K, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP, Winn DM, Moysich K, Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Levi F, Kelsey K, McClean M, Bosetti C, Garavello W, Schantz S, Yu GP, Boffetta P, Chuang SC, Hashibe M, Ferraroni M, La Vecchia C, Edefonti V
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 1
- Age at start of using tobacco on the risk of head and neck cancer: Pooled analysis in the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology Consortium (INHANCE).
- Authors: Chang CP, Chang SC, Chuang SC, Berthiller J, Ferro G, Matsuo K, Wünsch-Filho V, Toporcov TN, de Carvalho MB, La Vecchia C, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP, Serraino D, Muscat J, Sturgis EM, Li G, Morgenstern H, Levi F, Dal Maso L, Smith E, Kelsey K, McClean M, Vaughan TL, Lazarus P, Ramroth H, Chen C, Schwartz SM, Winn DM, Bosetti C, Edefonti V, Garavello W, Negri E, Hayes RB, Purdue MP, Boccia S, Cadoni G, Shangina O, Koifman R, Curado MP, Vilensky M, Swiatkowska B, Herrero R, Franceschi S, Benhamou S, Fernandez L, Menezes AMB, Daudt AW, Mates D, Schantz S, Yu GP, Lissowska J, Brenner H, Fabianova E, Rudnai P, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Zhang ZF, Hashibe M, Lee YA
- Issue date: 2019 Dec