DNA microarray profiling of a diverse collection of nosocomial methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus isolates assigns the majority to the correct sequence type and staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) type and results in the subsequent identification and characterization of novel SCCmec-SCCM1 composite islands.
AuthorsShore, Anna C
Brennan, Orla M
Deasy, Emily C
Rossney, Angela S
Kinnevey, Peter M
Coleman, David C
AffiliationMicrobiology Research Unit, Dublin Dental University Hospital, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Multilocus Sequence Typing
Oligonucleotide Array Sequence Analysis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDNA microarray profiling of a diverse collection of nosocomial methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus isolates assigns the majority to the correct sequence type and staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) type and results in the subsequent identification and characterization of novel SCCmec-SCCM1 composite islands. 2012, 56 (10):5340-55 Antimicrob. Agents Chemother.
PublisherAntimicrobial agents and chemotherapy
JournalAntimicrobial agents and chemotherapy
AbstractOne hundred seventy-five isolates representative of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) clones that predominated in Irish hospitals between 1971 and 2004 and that previously underwent multilocus sequence typing (MLST) and staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) typing were characterized by spa typing (175 isolates) and DNA microarray profiling (107 isolates). The isolates belonged to 26 sequence type (ST)-SCCmec types and subtypes and 35 spa types. The array assigned all isolates to the correct MLST clonal complex (CC), and 94% (100/107) were assigned an ST, with 98% (98/100) correlating with MLST. The array assigned all isolates to the correct SCCmec type, but subtyping of only some SCCmec elements was possible. Additional SCCmec/SCC genes or DNA sequence variation not detected by SCCmec typing was detected by array profiling, including the SCC-fusidic acid resistance determinant Q6GD50/fusC. Novel SCCmec/SCC composite islands (CIs) were detected among CC8 isolates and comprised SCCmec IIA-IIE, IVE, IVF, or IVg and a ccrAB4-SCC element with 99% DNA sequence identity to SCC(M1) from ST8/t024-MRSA, SCCmec VIII, and SCC-CI in Staphylococcus epidermidis. The array showed that the majority of isolates harbored one or more superantigen (94%; 100/107) and immune evasion cluster (91%; 97/107) genes. Apart from fusidic acid and trimethoprim resistance, the correlation between isolate antimicrobial resistance phenotype and the presence of specific resistance genes was ≥97%. Array profiling allowed high-throughput, accurate assignment of MRSA to CCs/STs and SCCmec types and provided further evidence of the diversity of SCCmec/SCC. In most cases, array profiling can accurately predict the resistance phenotype of an isolate.
- Emergence of sequence type 779 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus harboring a novel pseudo staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec)-SCC-SCCCRISPR composite element in Irish hospitals.
- Authors: Kinnevey PM, Shore AC, Brennan GI, Sullivan DJ, Ehricht R, Monecke S, Slickers P, Coleman DC
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Detection of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec-associated DNA segments in multiresistant methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) and identification of Staphylococcus epidermidis ccrAB4 in both methicillin-resistant S. aureus and MSSA.
- Authors: Shore AC, Rossney AS, O'Connell B, Herra CM, Sullivan DJ, Humphreys H, Coleman DC
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Extensive genetic diversity identified among sporadic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates recovered in Irish hospitals between 2000 and 2012.
- Authors: Kinnevey PM, Shore AC, Brennan GI, Sullivan DJ, Ehricht R, Monecke S, Coleman DC
- Issue date: 2014
- Detection of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec type XI carrying highly divergent mecA, mecI, mecR1, blaZ, and ccr genes in human clinical isolates of clonal complex 130 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- Authors: Shore AC, Deasy EC, Slickers P, Brennan G, O'Connell B, Monecke S, Ehricht R, Coleman DC
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Comparative Genotypes, Staphylococcal Cassette Chromosome mec (SCCmec) Genes and Antimicrobial Resistance amongst Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus haemolyticus Isolates from Infections in Humans and Companion Animals.
- Authors: McManus BA, Coleman DC, Deasy EC, Brennan GI, O' Connell B, Monecke S, Ehricht R, Leggett B, Leonard N, Shore AC
- Issue date: 2015