E.A.O. guidelines for the use of diagnostic imaging in implant dentistry 2011. A consensus workshop organized by the European Association for Osseointegration at the Medical University of Warsaw.
Benic, Goran I
Bornstein, Michael M
AffiliationDublin Dental School and Hospital, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationE.A.O. guidelines for the use of diagnostic imaging in implant dentistry 2011. A consensus workshop organized by the European Association for Osseointegration at the Medical University of Warsaw. 2012, 23 (11):1243-53 Clin Oral Implants Res
JournalClinical oral implants research
AbstractDiagnostics imaging is an essential component of patient selection and treatment planning in oral rehabilitation by means of osseointegrated implants. In 2002, the EAO produced and published guidelines on the use of diagnostic imaging in implant dentistry. Since that time, there have been significant developments in both the application of cone beam computed tomography as well as in the range of surgical and prosthetic applications that can potentially benefit from its use. However, medical exposure to ionizing radiation must always be justified and result in a net benefit to the patient. The as low a dose as is reasonably achievable principle must also be applied taking into account any alternative techniques that might achieve the same objectives. This paper reports on current EAO recommendations arising from a consensus meeting held at the Medical University of Warsaw (2011) to update these guidelines. Radiological considerations are detailed, including justification and optimization, with a special emphasis on the obligations that arise for those who prescribe or undertake such investigations. The paper pays special attention to clinical indications and radiographic diagnostic considerations as well as to future developments and trends.
- Appropriate use of ionizing radiation in orthodontic practice and research.
- Authors: Abdelkarim AA
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Clinical justification of dental radiology in adult patients: a review of the literature.
- Authors: Martínez Beneyto Y, Alcaráz Banos M, Pérez Lajarin L, Rushton VE
- Issue date: 2007 May 1
- Guidelines for the safe use of dental and maxillofacial CBCT: a review with recommendations for South Africa.
- Authors: Noffke CE, Farman AG, Nel S, Nzima N
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Position statement of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology on selection criteria for the use of radiology in dental implantology with emphasis on cone beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Tyndall DA, Price JB, Tetradis S, Ganz SD, Hildebolt C, Scarfe WC, American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology.
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- E.A.O. guidelines fo the use of diagnostic imaging in implant dentistry. A consensus workshop organized by the European Association for Osseointegration in Trinity College Dublin.
- Authors: Harris D, Buser D, Dula K, Grondahl K, Haris D, Jacobs R, Lekholm U, Nakielny R, van Steenberghe D, van der Stelt P, European Association for Osseointegration.
- Issue date: 2002 Oct