The value of education in special care dentistry as a means of reducing inequalities in oral health.
AffiliationCHU Clermont-Ferrand, Service d'Odontologie and Clermont Université, Université d'Auvergne, EA 3847, Clermont Ferrand, France.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe value of education in special care dentistry as a means of reducing inequalities in oral health. 2012, 16 (4):195-201 Eur J Dent Educ
JournalEuropean journal of dental education : official journal of the Association for Dental Education in Europe
AbstractPeople with disability are subject to inequality in oral health both in terms of prevalence of disease and unmet healthcare needs. Over 18% of the global population is living with moderate to severe functional problems related to disability, and a large proportion of these persons will require Special Care Dentistry at some point in their lifetime. It is estimated that 90% of people requiring Special Care Dentistry should be able to access treatment in a local, primary care setting. Provision of such primary care is only possible through the education and training of dentists. The literature suggests that it is vital for the dental team to develop the necessary skills and gain experience treating people with special needs in order to ensure access to the provision of oral health care. Education in Special Care Dentistry worldwide might be improved by the development of a recognised academic and clinical discipline and by providing international curricula guidelines based on the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF, WHO). This article aims to discuss the role and value of promoting and harmonising education in Special Care Dentistry as a means of reducing inequalities in oral health.
- Education of dentists in the treatment of patients with special needs.
- Authors: Thierer T, Meyerowitz C
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Professional education to meet the oral health needs of older adults and persons with disabilities.
- Authors: Dolan TA
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Aug
- Special Care Dentistry: a professional challenge.
- Authors: Gallagher JE, Fiske J
- Issue date: 2007 May 26
- Guidance for the core content of a Curriculum in Special Care Dentistry at the undergraduate level.
- Authors: Dougall A, Thompson SA, Faulks D, Ting G, Nunn J
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Mount Sinai Hospital dental program for persons with disabilities: role in undergraduate dental education.
- Authors: Sigal MJ
- Issue date: 2010