Occupation and risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancer: the ARCAGE study.
Macfarlane, Gary J
Macfarlane, Tatiana V
Conway, David I
McKinney, Patricia A
Healy, Claire M
McCartan, Bernard E
AffiliationUniversity of Turin, Turin, Italy. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOccupation and risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancer: the ARCAGE study. 2012, 130 (10):2397-406 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational journal of cancer. Journal international du cancer
AbstractWe investigated the association between occupational history and upper aerodigestive tract (UADT) cancer risk in the ARCAGE European case-control study. The study included 1,851 patients with incident cancer of the oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx, larynx or esophagus and 1,949 controls. We estimated odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) for ever employment in 283 occupations and 172 industries, adjusting for smoking and alcohol. Men (1,457 cases) and women (394 cases) were analyzed separately and we incorporated a semi-Bayes adjustment approach for multiple comparisons. Among men, we found increased risks for occupational categories previously reported to be associated with at least one type of UADT cancer, including painters (OR = 1.74, 95% CI: 1.01-3.00), bricklayers (1.58, 1.05-2.37), workers employed in the erection of roofs and frames (2.62, 1.08-6.36), reinforced concreters (3.46, 1.11-10.8), dockers (2.91, 1.05-8.05) and workers employed in the construction of roads (3.03, 1.23-7.46), general construction of buildings (1.44, 1.12-1.85) and cargo handling (2.60, 1.17-5.75). With the exception of the first three categories, risks both increased when restricting to long duration of employment and remained elevated after semi-Bayes adjustment. Increased risks were also found for loggers (3.56, 1.20-10.5) and cattle and dairy farming (3.60, 1.15-11.2). Among women, there was no clear evidence of increased risks of UADT cancer in association with occupations or industrial activities. This study provides evidence of an association between some occupational categories and UADT cancer risk among men. The most consistent findings, also supported by previous studies, were obtained for specific workers employed in the construction industry.
- Genetic associations of 115 polymorphisms with cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract across 10 European countries: the ARCAGE project.
- Authors: Canova C, Hashibe M, Simonato L, Nelis M, Metspalu A, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Ahrens W, Pigeot I, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Talamini R, Barzan L, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Holcátová I, Bencko V, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Kjaerheim K, Lowry R, Agudo A, Castellsagué X, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Znaor A, McCartan BE, Healy CM, Marron M, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 1
- The association between change in body mass index and upper aerodigestive tract cancers in the ARCAGE project: multicenter case-control study.
- Authors: Park SL, Lee YC, Marron M, Agudo A, Ahrens W, Barzan L, Bencko V, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Canova C, Castellsague X, Conway DI, Healy CM, Holcátová I, Kjaerheim K, Lagiou P, Lowry RJ, Macfarlane TV, Macfarlane GJ, McCartan BE, McKinney PA, Merletti F, Pohlabeln H, Richiardi L, Simonato L, Sneddon L, Talamini R, Trichopoulos D, Znaor A, Brennan P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 15
- Dietary risk factors for squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract in central and eastern Europe.
- Authors: Sapkota A, Hsu CC, Zaridze D, Shangina O, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Mates D, Fabiánová E, Rudnai P, Janout V, Holcatova I, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Active and involuntary tobacco smoking and upper aerodigestive tract cancer risks in a multicenter case-control study.
- Authors: Lee YC, Marron M, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Ahrens W, Pohlabeln H, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Agudo A, Castellsague X, Bencko V, Holcatova I, Kjaerheim K, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Talamini R, Barzan L, Canova C, Simonato L, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Lowry RJ, Sneddon L, Znaor A, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Brennan P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Occupation and larynx and hypopharynx cancer: an international case-control study in France, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland.
- Authors: Boffetta P, Richiardi L, Berrino F, Estève J, Pisani P, Crosignani P, Raymond L, Zubiri L, Del Moral A, Lehmann W, Donato F, Terracini B, Tuyns A, Merletti F
- Issue date: 2003 Apr