AffiliationPaediatric Department, Midland Regional Hospital, Mullingar, Ireland. email@example.com
Local subject classificationCONGENITAL ABNORMALITY
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA 'One in a million' case of pulsating thoracoabdominal mass. 2012, 2012: BMJ Case Rep
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractEctopia cordis is a rare congenital malformation in which the heart is located partially or totally outside the thoracic cavity. It comprises 0.1% of congenital heart diseases. The authors present a case of a male baby born at term by emergency caesarean section due to prolonged fetal bradycardia, who was noted to have a large pulsating mass in the thoracoabdominal area. In view of lower thoracolumbar abdominal defect, ectopic placement of the umbilicus, deficiency of the diaphragmatic pericardium, deficiency of anterior diaphragm and intracardiac abnormalities, a diagnosis of ectopia cordis-Pentalogy of Cantrell was made. He was transferred to a tertiary centre and required oxygen supplement initially. He was sent home after 1 week, on propanolol, with weekly oxygen saturation checks. He is awaiting further surgical intervention pending the required weight gain.
- Staged repair of pentalogy of Cantrell with ectopia cordis and ventricular septal defect.
- Authors: Sakasai Y, Thang BQ, Kanemoto S, Takahashi-Igari M, Togashi S, Kato H, Hiramatsu Y
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Successful surgical repair of pentalogy of cantrell at 14 months of age.
- Authors: Akhtar K, Sultan M, Ahmed W, Ullah M, Sadiq N
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Management of Pentalogy of Cantrell with complete ectopia cordis and Double Outlet Right Ventricle.
- Authors: Harring G, Weil J, Thiel C, Schmelzle R, Mueller GC
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Ectopia Cordis Associated with Pentalogy of Cantrell-A Case Report.
- Authors: Madi JM, Festugatto JR, Rizzon M, Agostini AP, Araújo BF, Garcia RMR
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Pentalogy of Cantrell with Ectopia Cordis: CT Findings.
- Authors: Pirasteh A, Carcano C, Kirsch J, Mohammed TL
- Issue date: 2014 Dec