Imaging focal and interstitial fibrosis with cardiovascular magnetic resonance in athletes with left ventricular hypertrophy: implications for sporting participation.
AffiliationCentre for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, Blackrock Clinic, Dublin, Ireland.
Death, Sudden, Cardiac
Hypertrophy, Left Ventricular
Magnetic Resonance Angiography
MetadataShow full item record
CitationImaging focal and interstitial fibrosis with cardiovascular magnetic resonance in athletes with left ventricular hypertrophy: implications for sporting participation. 2012, 46 Suppl 1:i69-77 Br J Sports Med
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group Ltd
JournalBritish journal of sports medicine
AbstractLong-term high-intensity physical activity is associated with morphological changes, termed as the 'athlete's heart'. The differentiation of physiological cardiac adaptive changes in response to high-level exercise from pathological changes consistent with an inherited cardiomyopathy is imperative. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging allows definition of abnormal processes occurring at the tissue level, including, importantly, myocardial fibrosis. It is therefore vital in accurately making this differentiation. In this review, we will review the role of CMR imaging of fibrosis, and detail CMR characterisation of myocardial fibrosis in various cardiomyopathies, and the implications of fibrosis. Additionally, we will outline advances in imaging fibrosis, in particular T1 mapping. Finally we will address the role of CMR in pre-participation screening.
- The multi-modality cardiac imaging approach to the Athlete's heart: an expert consensus of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.
- Authors: Galderisi M, Cardim N, D'Andrea A, Bruder O, Cosyns B, Davin L, Donal E, Edvardsen T, Freitas A, Habib G, Kitsiou A, Plein S, Petersen SE, Popescu BA, Schroeder S, Burgstahler C, Lancellotti P
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Prevalence of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in highly trained athletes: relevance to pre-participation screening.
- Authors: Basavarajaiah S, Wilson M, Whyte G, Shah A, McKenna W, Sharma S
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 11
- Sudden cardiac death in athletes and the value of cardiovascular magnetic resonance.
- Authors: Mavrogeni SI, Bacopoulou F, Apostolaki D, Chrousos GP
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Exercise and heart disease: from athletes and arrhythmias to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and congenital heart disease.
- Authors: Zaidi A, Sharma S
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Effects of myocardial fibrosis and ventricular dyssynchrony on response to therapy in new-presentation idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: insights from cardiovascular magnetic resonance and echocardiography.
- Authors: Leong DP, Chakrabarty A, Shipp N, Molaee P, Madsen PL, Joerg L, Sullivan T, Worthley SG, De Pasquale CG, Sanders P, Selvanayagam JB
- Issue date: 2012 Mar