AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, St. John's Hospital, Limerick City, Limerick, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Pulmonary Disease, Chronic Obstructive
Respiratory Tract Infections
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn unusual cause for recurrent chest infections. 2012, 2012: BMJ Case Rep
PublisherBMJ case reports
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractWe present a case of an elderly non-smoking gentleman who, since 2005, had been admitted multiple times for recurrent episodes of shortness of breath, wheeze, cough and sputum. The patient was treated as exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and/or lower respiratory tract infections. Bronchoscopy was done which revealed multiple hard nodules in the trachea and bronchi with posterior tracheal wall sparing. Biopsies confirmed this as tracheopathia osteochondroplastica (TO). He had increasing frequency of admission due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and pseudomonas infections, which failed to clear despite intravenous, prolonged oral and nebulised antibiotics. The patient developed increasing respiratory distress and respiratory failure. The patient died peacefully in 2012. This case report highlights the typical pathological and radiological findings of TO and the pitfalls of misdiagnosing patients with recurrent chest infections as COPD.
- [Tracheobronchopathia osteochondroplastica: a case report].
- Authors: Baran A, Güngör S, Unver E, Yilmaz A
- Issue date: 2004
- Tracheobronchopathia osteochondroplastica presenting as a respiratory insufficiency: diagnosis by bronchoscopy and MRI.
- Authors: Hantous-Zannad S, Sebaï L, Zidi A, Ben Khelil J, Mestiri I, Besbes M, Hamzaoui A, Ben Miled-M'rad K
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Tracheopathia osteochondroplastica complicated with thyroid cancer: case report and review of the literature in Japan.
- Authors: Morita S, Yokoyama N, Yamashita S, Izumi M, Kanda T, Nagataki S
- Issue date: 1990 Nov-Dec
- [Massive hemoptysis associated with tracheopathia osteochondroplastica].
- Authors: Fernandez-Fernandez FJ, Mejuto MJ, Pia G, Moreno J, Alvarez JC, Diaz-Miguez MD
- Issue date: 1996 Feb
- [Tracheopathia osteochondroplastica associated with a liver hydatic cyst broken in bronchi].
- Authors: Ennaifer-Jerbi E, Ayadi-Kaddour A, Lagha M, Lassaâd Loussaief M, Boubaker S
- Issue date: 2001 Oct