Ultra high risk of psychosis on committal to a young offender prison: an unrecognised opportunity for early intervention.
AffiliationNational Forensic Mental Health Service, Central Mental Hospital, Dundrum, Dublin, Ireland.
MENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDER
Psychiatric Status Rating Scales
MetadataShow full item record
CitationUltra high risk of psychosis on committal to a young offender prison: an unrecognised opportunity for early intervention. 2012, 12:100 BMC Psychiatry
AbstractThe ultra high risk state for psychosis has not been studied in young offender populations. Prison populations have higher rates of psychiatric morbidity and substance use disorders. Due to the age profile of young offenders one would expect to find a high prevalence of individuals with pre-psychotic or ultra-high risk mental states for psychosis (UHR). Accordingly young offender institutions offer an opportunity for early interventions which could result in improved long term mental health, social and legal outcomes. In the course of establishing a mental health in-reach service into Ireland's only young offender prison, we sought to estimate unmet mental health needs.
- Mapping the onset of psychosis: the Comprehensive Assessment of At-Risk Mental States.
- Authors: Yung AR, Yuen HP, McGorry PD, Phillips LJ, Kelly D, Dell'Olio M, Francey SM, Cosgrave EM, Killackey E, Stanford C, Godfrey K, Buckby J
- Issue date: 2005 Nov-Dec
- Prisoners at ultra-high-risk for psychosis: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Jarrett M, Valmaggia L, Parrott J, Forrester A, Winton-Brown T, Maguire H, Ndegwa D, McGuire P, Craig TK
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- [Detection and early treatment of subjects at high risk of clinical psychosis: Definitions and recommendations].
- Authors: Michel C, Toffel E, Schmidt SJ, Eliez S, Armando M, Solida-Tozzi A, Schultze-Lutter F, Debbané M
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Adolescents at ultra-high risk of psychosis in Italian neuropsychiatry services: prevalence, psychopathology and transition rate.
- Authors: Pelizza L, Azzali S, Garlassi S, Paterlini F, Scazza I, Chiri LR, Pupo S, Raballo A
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Associations between psychotic symptoms and substance use in young offenders.
- Authors: Degenhardt L, Coffey C, Hearps S, Kinner SA, Borschmann R, Moran P, Patton G
- Issue date: 2015 Nov