AuthorsO Donnchadha, Seán
O'Brien, Marie Claire
AffiliationSchool of Psychology, University College Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSymptom overlap in anxiety and multiple sclerosis. 2013: Mult. Scler.
JournalMultiple sclerosis (Houndmills, Basingstoke, England)
AbstractBACKGROUND: The validity of self-rated anxiety inventories in people with multiple sclerosis (pwMS) is unclear. However, the appropriateness of self-reported depression scales has been widely examined. Given somatic symptom overlap between depression and MS, research emphasises caution when using such scales. OBJECTIVE: This study evaluates symptom overlap between anxiety and MS in a group of 33 individuals with MS, using the Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI). METHODS: Participants underwent a neurological examination and completed the BAI. RESULTS: A novel procedure using hierarchical cluster analysis revealed three distinct symptom clusters. Cluster one ('wobbliness' and 'unsteady') grouped separately from all other BAI items. These symptoms are well-recognised MS-related symptoms and we question whether their endorsement in pwMS can be considered to reflect anxiety. A modified 19-item BAI (mBAI) was created which excludes cluster one items. This removal reduced the number of MS participants considered 'anxious' by 21.21% (low threshold) and altered the level of anxiety severity for a further 27.27%. CONCLUSION: Based on these data, it is suggested that, as with depression measures, researchers and clinicians should exercise caution when using brief screening measures for anxiety in pwMS.
- Anxiety and depressive symptoms in clinically isolated syndrome and multiple sclerosis.
- Authors: Anhoque CF, Domingues SC, Carvalho T, Teixeira AL, Domingues RB
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Endorsement of self-report neurovegetative items of depression is associated with multiple sclerosis disease symptoms.
- Authors: Beeney JE, Arnett PA
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Anxiety in Parkinson's disease: Symptom dimensions and overlap with depression and autonomic failure.
- Authors: Rutten S, Ghielen I, Vriend C, Hoogendoorn AW, Berendse HW, Leentjens AF, van der Werf YD, Smit JH, van den Heuvel OA
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Anxiety in patients with multiple sclerosis: association with disability, depression, disease type and sex.
- Authors: Askari F, Ghajarzadeh M, Mohammadifar M, Azimi A, Sahraian MA, Owji M
- Issue date: 2014
- [Alexithymia and links with depression and anxiety in multiple sclerosis].
- Authors: Chahraoui K, Pinoit JM, Viegas N, Adnet J, Bonin B, Moreau T
- Issue date: 2008 Mar