Spontaneous haemorrhage and rupture of third ventricular colloid cyst.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurosurgery, Cork University Hospital, Cork, Republic of Ireland.
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSpontaneous haemorrhage and rupture of third ventricular colloid cyst. 2012, 2012: BMJ Case Rep
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractAcute bleeding within a colloid cyst of the third ventricle represents a rare event causing sudden increase in the cyst volume that may lead to acute hydrocephalus and rapid neurological deterioration. We report a case of spontaneous rupture of haemorrhagic third ventricular colloid cyst and its management. A 77-year-old ex-smoker presented with unsteady gait, incontinence and gradually worsening confusion over a 3-week period. Brain CT scan findings were highly suggestive of a third ventricular colloid cyst with intraventricular rupture. He underwent cyst excision and histopathology, which confirmed the radiological diagnosis with evidence of haemorrhage within the cyst. A ventriculo peritoneal shunt was performed for delayed hydrocephalus. Surgical management of these patients must include emergency ventriculostomy followed by prompt surgical removal of the haemorrhagic cyst.
- Hemorrhagic colloid cyst with intraventricular extension.
- Authors: Tamura Y, Uesugi T, Tucker A, Ukita T, Tsuji M, Miyake H, Kuroiwa T
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Large hemorrhagic colloid cyst in a 35-year-old male.
- Authors: Coce N, Pavliša G, Nanković S, Jakovčević A, Seronja-Kuhar M, Pavliša G
- Issue date: 2012
- Colloid cyst of third ventricle presenting as pseudoeclampsia.
- Authors: Dhar H
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Pediatric colloid cysts of the third ventricle: management considerations.
- Authors: Kumar V, Behari S, Kumar Singh R, Jain M, Jaiswal AK, Jain VK
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Do tumor and ventricular volume predict the need for postresection shunting in colloid cyst patients?
- Authors: Weaver KJ, McCord M, Neal D, Bova F, Rajon D, Quinones-Hinojosa A, Rahman M
- Issue date: 2016 Sep