Should money follow the patient: Financial implication for being the National Centre for the Treatment and Management of Pelvic and Acetabular Fractures in Ireland.
AffiliationNational Centre for Pelvic & Acetabular Surgery, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, Incorporating the National Children's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. Electronic address: Kellym11@tcd.ie.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationShould money follow the patient: Financial implication for being the National Centre for the Treatment and Management of Pelvic and Acetabular Fractures in Ireland. 2013: Injury
AbstractBACKGROUND: Pelvic and acetabular fractures are complex injuries requiring specialist treatment. Our institution is the National Centre for Treatment and Management of these injuries. AIM: To audit all referrals to our institution over a 6-month period and calculate the cost incurred by being the national referral centre. METHODS: Retrospective review of database, and subsequent allocation of Casemix points to assess total cost of treatment for each patient referred to our institution. RESULTS: 103 patients referred with pelvic or acetabular fracture for operative management. The furthest referral distance was 181miles. Over-all, the length of stay was 15.4 days. The average inclusive cost for a referral to our unit for operative management was €16,302. CONCLUSION: Pelvic and acetabular fractures are complex injuries that require specialist referral unit management. However for these units to remain sustainable money needs to "follow the patient".
- Pelvic and acetabular fractures.
- Authors: O'Neill F, Leonard M, Lui D, McElwain J, Morris S
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Direct and indirect costs of surgically treated pelvic fractures.
- Authors: Aprato A, Joeris A, Tosto F, Kalampoki V, Stucchi A, Massè A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Combined injuries of the pelvis and acetabulum: nature of a devastating dyad.
- Authors: Suzuki T, Smith WR, Hak DJ, Stahel PF, Baron AJ, Gillani SA, Morgan SJ
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Where does Pelvic and Acetabular Fracture Treatment fit into the Newly Proposed Major Trauma Model in Ireland?
- Authors: Fenelon C, Murphy EP, O’Daly BJ, Leonard M
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 11
- [Pelvic injuries and acetabular fractures: differences in their severity].
- Authors: Džupa V, Grill R, Fridrich F, Krbec M, Skála-Rosenbaum J, Báča V
- Issue date: 2013