A profile of hospice-at-home physiotherapy for community-dwelling palliative care patients.
AffiliationMilford Care Centre, Castletroy, Limerick, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA profile of hospice-at-home physiotherapy for community-dwelling palliative care patients. 2013, 19 (1):39-45 Int J Palliat Nurs
JournalInternational journal of palliative nursing
AbstractTo profile a specialised palliative care physiotherapy service to community-dwelling patients.
Milford Care Centre, Limerick, Ireland.
Patients referred to hospice-at-home physiotherapy during September 2010-February 2011.
Edmonton Functional Assessment Tool (EFAT-2).
165 patients were referred, of whom 90% had cancer. Nurses referred 120 (73%). Referrals appeared to be increased by the presence of physiotherapists in the nursing bases. No asssessment was conducted for 55 referrals (33%), mainly owing to clinical deterioration. The remaining 110 patients were assessed, with 47 (43%) being contacted within 2 days of referral (mean 4 days, standard deviation 4.2, range 0-21 days). Physical function ranged from 0-18 (median 7, mode 4) on the EFAT-2 scale. The most commonly used treatments were exercises and advice/education.
Referrals to the at-home physiotherapy service are heavily dependent on nurses and their understanding of the physiotherapy role. Patients tended to be relatively high functioning and tolerated numerous interventions.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Physical function in hospice patients and physiotherapy interventions: a profile of hospice physiotherapy.
- Authors: Cobbe S, Kennedy N
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Association between referral-to-death interval and location of death of patients referred to a hospital-based specialist palliative care service.
- Authors: Poulose JV, Do YK, Neo PS
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Referral patterns of nonmalignant patients to an Irish specialist palliative medicine service: a retrospective review.
- Authors: Wallace EM, Tiernan E
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Does hospice have a role in nursing home care at the end of life?
- Authors: Casarett DJ, Hirschman KB, Henry MR
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Characteristics of clients referred to home, hospice and hospital palliative care services in Western Australia.
- Authors: Bradshaw PJ
- Issue date: 1993