AffiliationNenagh Hospital, Nenagh, Ireland.
Electronic Health Records
Nursing Staff, Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
CitationREADS: the rapid electronic assessment documentation system., 21 (22):1333-6, 1338-40 Br J Nurs
JournalBritish journal of nursing (Mark Allen Publishing)
AbstractPatient documentation is time consuming and can detract from care. The authors report a novel computer programme that manipulates routinely collected information to quantify nursing workload, along with the reason for admission, functional status, estimates of in-hospital mortality and life expectancy. The programme stores information in a database, and produces a print-out in a situation/background/assessment/recommendation (SBAR) format. The average time taken to enter 629 patient encounters was 6.6 minutes. Pain was the most common presentation for low workload patients, while high workload patients often presented with altered mental status and reduced mobility. There was only a modest correlation between the risk of death and nursing workload. The programme measures nursing workload without further paperwork, and improves routine documentation with a legible brief report that is automatically generated. This report can be shared and provides data that is immediately available for day-to-day care, audit, quality control and service planning.
- Nursing process documentation--effects on workload and quality when using a computer program and a key word model for nursing documentation.
- Authors: Sahlstedt S, Adolfsson H, Ehnfors M, Källström B
- Issue date: 1997
- Implementation of standardized nomenclature in the electronic medical record.
- Authors: Klehr J, Hafner J, Spelz LM, Steen S, Weaver K
- Issue date: 2009 Oct-Dec
- The Effect of an Electronic SBAR Communication Tool on Documentation of Acute Events in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- Authors: Panesar RS, Albert B, Messina C, Parker M
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Feb
- Nursing documentation time during implementation of an electronic medical record.
- Authors: Korst LM, Eusebio-Angeja AC, Chamorro T, Aydin CE, Gregory KD
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Putting policy into practice: pre- and posttests of implementing standardized languages for nursing documentation.
- Authors: Thoroddsen A, Ehnfors M
- Issue date: 2007 Oct