Purpura fulminans in a patient with mixed connective tissue disease.
AffiliationDermatology Department, Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPurpura fulminans in a patient with mixed connective tissue disease. 2013, 2013: BMJ Case Rep
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractA 43-year-old lady was admitted to the intensive care unit with sepsis. She had a history of mixed connective tissue disease, Raynaud's syndrome and hypothyroidism. 2 days later, she developed a purpuric rash on her face and extremities with a livedoid background. Few days later, her distal fingers and toes became gangrenous which then had to be amputated. Laboratory investigations showed that she was coagulopathic and had multiple organ dysfunctions. Antiphospholipid antibodies were negative; however, protein C and antithrombin III levels were low. A skin biopsy showed fibrinoid necrosis in the vessel wall with microthrombi and red-cell extravasation. A diagnosis of purpura fulminans was made.
- Protein C substitution in sepsis-associated purpura fulminans.
- Authors: Rintala E, Kauppila M, Seppälä OP, Voipio-Pulkki LM, Pettilä V, Rasi V, Kotilainen P
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Purpura fulminans: recognition, diagnosis and management.
- Authors: Chalmers E, Cooper P, Forman K, Grimley C, Khair K, Minford A, Morgan M, Mumford AD
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Persistence of endothelial thrombomodulin in a patient with infectious purpura fulminans treated with protein C concentrate.
- Authors: Bendapudi PK, Robbins A, LeBoeuf N, Pozdnyakova O, Bhatt A, Duke F, Sells R, McQuiston J, Humrighouse B, Rouaisnel B, Colling M, Stephenson KE, Saavedra A, Losman JA
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 13
- [Purpura fulminans of the adult--a hematological emergency].
- Authors: Veith NT, Tschernig T, Braun BJ, Pohlemann T, Aßmann G
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Management of purpura fulminans skin lesions in a premature neonate with sepsis: a case study.
- Authors: Pérez-Acevedo G, Torra-Bou JE, Manzano-Canillas ML, Bosch-Alcaraz A
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 2