AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Emigration and Immigration
Genetic Predisposition to Disease
Obstetric Labor Complications
Pregnancy Complications, Infectious
Prenatal Exposure Delayed Effects
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPredicting risk and the emergence of schizophrenia. 2012, 35 (3):585-612 Psychiatr. Clin. North Am.
JournalThe Psychiatric clinics of North America
AbstractThis article gives an overview of genetic and environmental risk factors for schizophrenia. The presence of certain molecular, biological, and psychosocial factors at certain points in the life span, has been linked to later development of schizophrenia. All need to be considered in the context of schizophrenia as a lifelong brain disorder. Research interest in schizophrenia is shifting to late childhood/early adolescence for screening and preventative measures. This article discusses those environmental risk factors for schizophrenia for which there is the largest evidence base.
- Prenatal and perinatal risk factors of schizophrenia.
- Authors: Meli G, Ottl B, Paladini A, Cataldi L
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- The neurodevelopmental hypothesis of schizophrenia: convergent clues from epidemiology and neuropathology.
- Authors: Piper M, Beneyto M, Burne TH, Eyles DW, Lewis DA, McGrath JJ
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Obstetric complications as risk factors for schizophrenia spectrum psychoses in offspring of mothers with psychotic disorder.
- Authors: Suvisaari JM, Taxell-Lassas V, Pankakoski M, Haukka JK, Lönnqvist JK, Häkkinen LT
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Schizophrenia in people with intellectual disability: the role of pregnancy and birth complications.
- Authors: O'Dwyer JM
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Cohort Profile: Pathways of risk from conception to disease: the Western Australian schizophrenia high-risk e-Cohort.
- Authors: Morgan VA, Valuri GM, Croft ML, Griffith JA, Shah S, Young DJ, Jablensky AV
- Issue date: 2011 Dec