The relationship of victim injury to the progression of sexual crimes through the criminal justice system.
AuthorsKennedy, Kieran M
AffiliationGalway Sexual Assault Treatment Unit, HSE West, Hazelwood House, Parkmore Road, Galway, Ireland. email@example.com
Wounds and Injuries
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe relationship of victim injury to the progression of sexual crimes through the criminal justice system. 2012, 19 (6):309-11 J Forensic Leg Med
JournalJournal of forensic and legal medicine
AbstractA number of factors are known to influence the progression of sexual crimes through the criminal justice system. The role of victim injury in influencing decision-making at pivotal stages has been addressed by a number of separate research projects. This article consolidates existing research evidence in order to highlight the important role that victim injury plays at each step of the legal process. The importance of accurate diagnosis and recording of victim injury is highlighted. Furthermore, by describing the significant impact that the presence of victim injury can have on the legal outcome, the importance of ensuring that cases without victim injury are correctly interpreted by the police, legal professionals, judiciary and the jury is heavily emphasised.
- Legal aspects of sexual violence--does forensic evidence make a difference?
- Authors: Ingemann-Hansen O, Brink O, Sabroe S, Sørensen V, Charles AV
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 18
- Review of forensic assessments of female referrals to the branch of legal medicine, Malatya region, Turkey--1996-2000.
- Authors: Celbiş O, Gökdoğan MR, Kaya M, Günes G
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Expanding a community's justice response to sex crimes through advocacy, prosecutorial, and public health collaboration: introducing the RESTORE program.
- Authors: Koss MP, Bachar KJ, Hopkins CQ, Carlson C
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Restorative justice for sexual violence: repairing victims, building community, and holding offenders accountable.
- Authors: Koss MP, Bachar KJ, Hopkins CQ
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Violent crime and victim compensation: implications for social justice.
- Authors: Smith HP
- Issue date: 2006 Jun