Can we combine symptom scales for collaborative research projects?
AffiliationDETECT Services, Avila House, Block 5 Blackrock Business Park, Co. Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MENTAL DISORDERS DIAGNOSIS
PSYCHIATRIC STATUS RATING SCALES
Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale
Psychiatric Status Rating Scales
Reproducibility of Results
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCan we combine symptom scales for collaborative research projects? 2012, 46 (2):233-8 J Psychiatr Res
JournalJournal of psychiatric research
AbstractCollaborative research projects have the potential to answer important research questions, which may otherwise require huge resources, funding, and time to complete. There are several scales for measuring psychotic symptoms in schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, with the Scale for Assessment of Positive Symptoms (SAPS), Scale for Assessment of Negative Symptoms (SANS), Positive and Negative Symptom Scale (PANSS), and the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS) being among the most commonly used. High quality research efforts have used these three scales in different projects, and in order to merge study efforts, some means of combining data from these scales may be necessary. We reviewed correlations in published studies for these three scales, finding them to be highly correlated, however on comparison of the three scales there were considerable clinical differences between them. The paper discusses potential methods for combining the scales in collaborative research, including use of the recently developed standardised remission criteria for schizophrenia.
- [Core factors of schizophrenia structure based on PANSS and SAPS/SANS results. Discerning and head-to-head comparisson of PANSS and SASPS/SANS validity].
- Authors: Masiak M, Loza B
- Issue date: 2004 Sep-Oct
- A new rating scale for negative symptoms: the Motor-Affective-Social Scale.
- Authors: Trémeau F, Goggin M, Antonius D, Czobor P, Hill V, Citrome L
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 30
- [The PANSS (Positive And Negative Symptom) Scale].
- Authors: Guelfi JD
- Issue date: 1997 Apr
- Scales to assess psychosis in Parkinson's disease: Critique and recommendations.
- Authors: Fernandez HH, Aarsland D, Fénelon G, Friedman JH, Marsh L, Tröster AI, Poewe W, Rascol O, Sampaio C, Stebbins GT, Goetz CG
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 15
- Is it possible to combine different psychotic symptom scales in bipolar disorder?
- Authors: Fernandez-Garcimartin H, Bagney A, Moreno-Ortega M, Dompablo M, Torio I, Lobo A, Jimenez-Arriero MA, Palomo T, Rodriguez-Jimenez R
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 30