Quantitative whole-body MRI in familial partial lipodystrophy type 2: changes in adipose tissue distribution coincide with biochemical improvement.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
Lipodystrophy, Familial Partial
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Whole Body Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
CitationQuantitative whole-body MRI in familial partial lipodystrophy type 2: changes in adipose tissue distribution coincide with biochemical improvement. 2012, 199 (5):W602-6 AJR Am J Roentgenol
JournalAJR. American journal of roentgenology
AbstractOBJECTIVE: Familial partial lipodystrophy type 2 (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man no. 151660) is a systemic disorder characterized by regional lipoatrophy and lipohypertrophy, severe insulin resistance, and early cardiovascular death. At initial presentation, whole-body MRI allows the radiologist to accurately characterize patients with familial partial lipodystrophy and helps differentiate familial partial lipodystrophy from many other subtypes of lipodystophy. We present the findings of serial quantitative MRI analysis in two patients with familial partial lipodystrophy type 2 and outline the objective imaging changes that occur during medical therapy with oral rosiglitazone. CONCLUSION: Cervical adipose volume and visceral adipose area increased by 105% and 60% in the two patients and hepatic fat fraction decreased by 55% during a 21-month period of medical therapy. These changes coincided with a decrease in biochemical indexes of insulin resistance. Whole body quantitative MRI may therefore help to demonstrate the subclinical changes in fat deposition that occur as a result of novel treatment of familial partial lipodystrophy and with continued research may play a role in guiding the choice, duration, and intensity of novel medical therapy.
- Efficacy of pioglitazone in familial partial lipodystrophy of the Dunnigan type: a case report.
- Authors: Moreau F, Boullu-Sanchis S, Vigouroux C, Lucescu C, Lascols O, Sapin R, Ruimy D, Guerci B, Pinget M, Jeandidier N
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Prolonged thiazolidinedione therapy does not reverse fat loss in patients with familial partial lipodystrophy, Dunnigan variety.
- Authors: Simha V, Rao S, Garg A
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Long-term improvement of metabolic control with pioglitazone in a woman with diabetes mellitus related to Dunnigan syndrome: a case report.
- Authors: Collet-Gaudillat C, Billon-Bancel A, Beressi JP
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Predicting abdominal adipose tissue among women with familial partial lipodystrophy.
- Authors: Joy T, Kennedy BA, Al-Attar S, Rutt BK, Hegele RA
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Clinical characteristics and efficacy of pioglitazone in a Japanese diabetic patient with an unusual type of familial partial lipodystrophy.
- Authors: Iwanishi M, Ebihara K, Kusakabe T, Chen W, Ito J, Masuzaki H, Hosoda K, Nakao K
- Issue date: 2009 Dec