Hypertonic saline in treatment of pulmonary disease in cystic fibrosis.
AffiliationRespiratory Research Division, Department of Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator
Saline Solution, Hypertonic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHypertonic saline in treatment of pulmonary disease in cystic fibrosis. 2012, 2012:465230 ScientificWorldJournal
AbstractThe pathogenesis of lung disease in cystic fibrosis is characterised by decreased airway surface liquid volume and subsequent failure of normal mucociliary clearance. Mucus within the cystic fibrosis airways is enriched in negatively charged matrices composed of DNA released from colonizing bacteria or inflammatory cells, as well as F-actin and elevated concentrations of anionic glycosaminoglycans. Therapies acting against airway mucus in cystic fibrosis include aerosolized hypertonic saline. It has been shown that hypertonic saline possesses mucolytic properties and aids mucociliary clearance by restoring the liquid layer lining the airways. However, recent clinical and bench-top studies are beginning to broaden our view on the beneficial effects of hypertonic saline, which now extend to include anti-infective as well as anti-inflammatory properties. This review aims to discuss the described therapeutic benefits of hypertonic saline and specifically to identify novel models of hypertonic saline action independent of airway hydration.
- Mucus clearance and lung function in cystic fibrosis with hypertonic saline.
- Authors: Donaldson SH, Bennett WD, Zeman KL, Knowles MR, Tarran R, Boucher RC
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 19
- Inhaled hypertonic saline as a therapy for cystic fibrosis.
- Authors: Elkins MR, Bye PT
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Nebulised hypertonic saline for cystic fibrosis.
- Authors: Wark PA, McDonald V
- Issue date: 2000
- Rationale for hypertonic saline therapy for cystic fibrosis lung disease.
- Authors: Tarran R, Donaldson S, Boucher RC
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Model of mucociliary clearance in cystic fibrosis lungs.
- Authors: Kurbatova P, Bessonov N, Volpert V, Tiddens HA, Cornu C, Nony P, Caudri D, CRESim Working Group.
- Issue date: 2015 May 7